Difference between undergrad quantum and graduate quantum

In summary, the person has taken quantum mechanics three times as an undergraduate. The first time was in Modern Physics 1, covering the basics of quantum up to 3-D central force problem. The second was in Quantum Chemistry, focusing on basic problems, formalism, and multielectron atoms and diatomic molecules. The third was in Quantum Physics, covering wave function, time independent SE, formalism, and 3D problems. They also took a mathematical physics class covering special functions, series solutions, and solving PDEs in different coordinate systems. Despite feeling unprepared compared to others, they are still ready for graduate quantum. It is common for students in engineering or physics/math to have a strong background and even publish before graduating.
chill_factor
I have taken quantum mechanics 3 times as an undergrad.

The first time was Modern Physics 1. It covers the beginnings of quantum and basic quantum up to 3-D central force problem.

The second was Quantum Chemistry (part 1 of physical chemistry), and we covered: basic quantum problems (particle in box/ring/sphere, H-atom), formalism like commutators and operators, quantum description of multielectron atoms and diatomic molecules. We were also supposed to go over perturbation theory but decided to skip it to keep on schedule.

The third was upper division physics major's class, Quantum Physics (part 1). We cover chapters 1-4 in Griffith: wave function, time independent SE, formalism, 3D problems.

I also had a mathematical physics class based on Boa's, covering chapters 11-13: special functions, series solutions of ODEs, and solving PDEs in all sorts of coordinate systems. in particular we solved the diffusion, Laplace, wave and Schrodinger equations over and over again for different boundary conditions and coordinate systems (rectangular, polar, cylindrical, spherical). we also reviewed integral transforms: Fourier, Laplace and convolution.

Am I ready for graduate quantum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You are ready. Ideally, you would of covered a bit more like quantum statistics, wkb method, time dependent pertubation theory and more on scattering but none-the-less, that's okay.

Do you think people go into graduate school already knowing graduate level material?

i'm sorry for this, my math and GPA are very weak.

i'm seeing all these 3.5-4.0 guys who major in engineering or physics/math in this forum that publish before they even graduate and finished an entire graduate sequence. i see these other guys in my department that publish ACS papers here, and i got nothing.

1. What is the main difference between undergraduate and graduate quantum physics?

The main difference between undergraduate and graduate quantum physics is the depth and complexity of the material covered. Undergraduate quantum physics typically focuses on the basic principles and equations of quantum mechanics, while graduate quantum physics delves deeper into advanced topics and applications.

2. Is the level of mathematical rigor different between undergraduate and graduate quantum physics?

Yes, the level of mathematical rigor is usually more advanced in graduate quantum physics. Undergraduate courses may introduce some mathematical concepts, but graduate courses typically require a higher level of mathematical understanding and application.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for graduate quantum physics?

Yes, most graduate programs in quantum physics require a strong foundation in mathematics, including advanced calculus and linear algebra. Some programs may also require knowledge of differential equations and complex analysis.

4. How does the teaching style differ between undergraduate and graduate quantum physics?

The teaching style in undergraduate quantum physics courses is often more focused on lectures and problem-solving, while graduate courses may include more discussion and independent research projects.

5. Are there any differences in the career opportunities for undergraduate and graduate quantum physicists?

Yes, there can be differences in the career opportunities for undergraduate and graduate quantum physicists. Graduates with a master's or doctoral degree may have more opportunities for research positions and higher-level positions in industries such as technology, aerospace, and defense.