Custom Heads Up Display, Possible?

• Thread starter ISX
  • Start date
In summary, somebody proposed a DIY project of beaming a HUD onto a windshield using a phone and an off-the-shelf solution. There is a possibility that it may not work, but it is worth a try.
ISX
This is probably pretty far out there but I can get info out of my truck's computer (speed, RPM, etc.) and have it on my laptop. Now I know it will be hard, but is it possible to beam it all on to the windshield? Is there something I can buy to do it?

I know, I'm nuts.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are a few DIY projects on the web of people doing it.
Most seem the simply reimage the screen of a PC/iPhone/etc onto the windshield.

This isn't really a HUD because you have to refocus onto the windsheild - rather than it being projected at infinity so you look through the glass and see the numbers in the distance, but the optics for that are a little more complicated

Almost an off the shelf solution is to get an Android phone, obdkey bluetooth interface and the torque android application. Oh, and your truck must be a 96 and up model with OBDII.

You can position the phone so its image is reflected by the windshield. Works best at night.

Don't have anything too helpful, but if you haven't looked there before, I'd play around on http://hackaday.com/ maybe try to find where somebody did something with a HUD and contact them directly. They have some incredible things that people have made using the most random stuff you could think of. I believe someone got one of those HUD clocks to interface with a computer, that might be a fairly inexpensive setup. Something to look into.

I sincerely doubt it. Usually if a battery comes into that state, it is because of physical changes within the battery like different cells becoming inactive or corroded or something; I'm no chemical engineer (EE actually ), but to my knowledge if your battery is that far along generally only companies that have the proper machinery to refurbish batteries can fix that.
The only thing you can try is doing a complete discharge, letting the system fully drain the battery and cut off, then do a deep charge overnight without turning the laptop on. I doubt it'll fix it though.

It seems to me that all you need is a usb-lcd display like this:

http://www.mini-box.com/picoLCD-20x2-OEM"

and a half silvered mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a custom Heads Up Display (HUD)?

A custom Heads Up Display, or HUD, is a display system that presents important information or data to the user without requiring them to look away from their usual viewpoint. It typically projects this information onto a transparent screen, such as a windshield, allowing the user to see both the information and their surroundings simultaneously.

2. What are the benefits of a custom HUD?

Custom HUDs can provide a hands-free and eyes-free way for users to access important information, reducing distractions and improving safety. They can also improve efficiency and convenience by displaying relevant information in real time, allowing users to make quick decisions and take action without having to look away from their task.

3. Are there any limitations to a custom HUD?

One limitation of a custom HUD is that it requires the user to have a clear line of sight to the display screen in order to see the information. This may not be possible in certain situations, such as driving in inclement weather or during low visibility conditions. Additionally, the information displayed on the HUD may be limited by the technology used and may not be as detailed or customizable as other display systems.

4. How is a custom HUD different from a standard HUD?

A standard HUD, such as those found in aircrafts or some cars, typically displays pre-determined information, such as speed or altitude. A custom HUD, on the other hand, allows for more personalized and customizable information to be displayed based on the user's needs and preferences. It also has the potential for a wider range of applications beyond transportation, such as in medical or military settings.

5. Is it possible to create a custom HUD?

Yes, it is possible to create a custom HUD using a combination of display technology, sensors, and software. However, it may require a significant amount of research, development, and resources to create a fully functional and reliable custom HUD system. Additionally, the cost of implementing a custom HUD may vary depending on the complexity and features of the system.