Cut-off energy of Be having HCP structure

  • Thread starter Thread starter Armani
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Structure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Armani
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have to calculate the cut-off energy of Beryllium that have hcp structure with the paramters: a=2.29Å and c=3.58Å.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:
Using plane (100) or (010)

Since the formula is: $$E=\frac{1}{2} \times G^2$$

$$G=\frac{2 \Pi}{2d} $$

$$\frac{1}{d^2} = \frac{4}{3} \times \frac{h^2+h \times k+k^2}{a^2}+\frac{l^2}{c^2}$$ ---> $$d=1.98 \times 10^{-10}$$
So
$$G= 3.168208497 \times 10^{10}$$
and finally
$$E=5.018772540 \times 10^{20}$$

BUT the SOLUTION says that E=5.22 meV. Can someone correct my calculation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.

Your calculation is missing units. Add them and you'll find your mistake. There is no reasonable energy unit where 1020 would not be way too large.