Cut-off energy of Be having HCP structure

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the cut-off energy of Beryllium with hcp structure using the parameters a=2.29Å and c=3.58Å. The formula used was E=1/2G^2 and the value of G was calculated to be 3.168208497 x 10^10. However, the solution stated that the energy should be 5.22 meV, indicating that there was a mistake in the calculation. The suggestion was to add units to the calculation in order to find the mistake.
Armani
Hello,

I have to calculate the cut-off energy of Beryllium that have hcp structure with the paramters: a=2.29Å and c=3.58Å.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:
Using plane (100) or (010)

Since the formula is: $$E=\frac{1}{2} \times G^2$$

$$G=\frac{2 \Pi}{2d} $$

$$\frac{1}{d^2} = \frac{4}{3} \times \frac{h^2+h \times k+k^2}{a^2}+\frac{l^2}{c^2}$$ ---> $$d=1.98 \times 10^{-10}$$
So
$$G= 3.168208497 \times 10^{10}$$
and finally
$$E=5.018772540 \times 10^{20}$$

BUT the SOLUTION says that E=5.22 meV. Can someone correct my calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.

Your calculation is missing units. Add them and you'll find your mistake. There is no reasonable energy unit where 1020 would not be way too large.

It is not working..maybe I am to confused.

What is not working? Did you add the units as suggested?

1. What is the cut-off energy of Be?

The cut-off energy of Be is the minimum amount of energy needed to break the bonds between atoms in its HCP (hexagonal close-packed) crystal structure.

2. How is the cut-off energy of Be determined?

The cut-off energy of Be can be determined through experimental techniques such as X-ray diffraction, which measures the energy required to separate the atoms in the crystal lattice.

3. What factors can affect the cut-off energy of Be?

The cut-off energy of Be can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the crystal structure.

4. What is the significance of the cut-off energy of Be?

The cut-off energy of Be is an important characteristic of its HCP structure, as it provides insight into the strength and stability of its atomic bonds. It is also useful in understanding the material's properties and behavior under different conditions.

5. How does the cut-off energy of Be compare to other materials?

The cut-off energy of Be is relatively high compared to other materials, indicating strong bonds within its HCP structure. However, it may vary depending on the specific conditions and impurities present in the crystal lattice.