Cutting a hollow sphere into 2 piece but not in half

  • Thread starter Thread starter athrun200
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cutting Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
athrun200
Messages
275
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform sphere of radius R is cut into two portions. The smaller portion S has height h measured from its flat surface, where h<R.

(a) Locate the center of mass of S from its flat surface

(b) Use (a) the locate the centre of mass of a hollow H which has the same shape and same size as S. The hollow has only a thin curved surface and without any flat surface.
(c) Obtain the result of (b) by direct integration.

Homework Equations


This question use 2 tricks to find the center of mass of a hollow.
1. Use substraction to substract a big object by a smaller one and then take limit. (I hope you understand what I mean.)
2. Use direction integration.


The Attempt at a Solution


My answer in part b doesn't agree with part c, can anyone help me to check what happen?
 
Attachments
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
I found a different expression for the mass of the cap:
[tex]m=\frac{\rho\pi h^2(3R-h)}{3}[/tex]
 
vela said:
I found a different expression for the mass of the cap:
[tex]m=\frac{\rho\pi h^2(3R-h)}{3}[/tex]

In fact I have same expression as you
[itex]\frac{h^{3}}{3}[/itex]-[itex]h^{2}R[/itex]

But when I copy it form messy worksheet to a much neat writting, I try to simplfy the expression in my mind, unforunately, I fail:-p

So my expression for the mass is also correct.
 
Last edited:
Did you get it to work out?
 
vela said:
Did you get it to work out?

Yes, of course.
I do this question with 2 other classmates, we check a hundred time for our answer. I am sure we get it correct.
 
so may i ask for b) and c)

the ans is..h/2 or h(4R-4) / 3(3R-h)

cuz my ans is not same as yours...

btw where the ans for b and c are not the same
 
The answers you get for b and c should both be h/2.
 
tim94131358 said:
so may i ask for b) and c)

the ans is..h/2 or h(4R-4) / 3(3R-h)

cuz my ans is not same as yours...

btw where the ans for b and c are not the same

what do you get?