Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic permutation and operators

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    Hi there

I am working through the problems in R.I.G. Hughes book the structure and interpretation of quantum mechanics and have hit a wall in the last part of the following question:

Show that Sx and Sy do not commute, and evaluate SxSy-SySx. Express this difference in terms of Sz, and show that this relation holds cyclically among the three operators.

I guess it has something to do with cyclic permutation. Any way thanks for your time and if you know where I can find the answers to the problems in this book that would help me later I suppose.

S[itex]_{}[/itex]x= 1/2 [itex]\left([/itex]0 1
    10[itex]\right)[/itex] S[itex]_{}[/itex]y= 1/2 [itex]\left([/itex]0 -i
    i 0[itex]\right)[/itex] S[itex]_{}[/itex]z= 1/2 [itex]\left([/itex]1 0
    0 -1[itex]\right)[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    They are just referring to the short hand notation: [Si,Sj] = SiSj - SjSi = 2i Sk where [itex](i,j,k)[/itex] can be [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] or [itex](y,z,x)[/itex] or [itex](z,x,y)[/itex], hence the phrase "this relation holds cyclically among the three operators".

S represent the pauli spin matrices.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    My confusion is with the section in bold type and how exactly to show the relation holding cyclically among the operators. What I was trying to depict below was the Pauli spin matrices.

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4
    By "show that this relation holds cyclically among the three operators" they mean what I have written in my earlier post. I edited the commutation relation (in boldface) to comply with Pauli spin matrices. Made a few other changes to explain it better. Is that helpful?

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    Yes thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook