1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclotron magnetic field questions

Tags:
  1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cyclotrons are widely used in nuclear medicine for producing short-lived radioactive isotopes. These cyclotrons typically accelerate H− (the hydrideion, which has one proton and two electrons) to an energy of 5MeV to 20MeV. This ion has a mass very close to that of a proton because the electron mass is negligible−about 1/2000 of the proton’s mass. A typical magnetic field in such cyclotrons is 2.3 T

A)What is the speed of a 5.0-MeV H−?

B)If the H− has energy 5.0MeV and B= 2.3 T , what is the radius of this ion’s circular orbit?
    2. Relevant equations
    F = qVxB
    F = mv^2/r
    W= qxV
    F = ma
    K=1/2mv^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    so for part a, i was thinking to find the kinetic energy using 5 MeV = 1/2mv^2 but i'd use the conversion first to go from eV to J
    for part b, i was thinking of setting qVxB = mv^2/r

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2
    where lies your problem?

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3
    Not sure sure how to solve it or if I'm approaching it correctly

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your approach is correct. The only thing to watch out for is to be sure to check the velocity that you get against the speed of light. As long as it is less than a percent or two of c, then you don't have to make any corrections. If it is a significant fraction of c, you will need to use a relativistic correction to get the actual speed. Makes sense? :smile:

6. Feb 26, 2016 #5
    yes it does! Relativity didn't factor into this at all since we haven't learned about it yet :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted