Damn you, Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the last part (8 mark) of a problem, which involves finding the eigenstates of the spin in the y-direction using the eigenequation. The result is two eigenstates in terms of the variables alpha and beta, which correspond to spin in the +y and -y directions. The conversation also mentions using the intensities found in the previous part to determine the coefficients of the beams, which have a 50/50 probability.
Onamor

Homework Statement

The last (8 mark) part of this (also in attachment):
[URL]http://img189.imageshack.us/i/imag0095l.jpg/[/URL]

(very sorry for having to post an image, I spent a good hour trying to tex it in this, but there's something wrong with my parsing in the preview post. anyway...)

Homework Equations

the answer to the penultimate part (the 4 marker) is the "up" spin has 0.82 and the "down" has 0.18 relative intensity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using [tex]\hat{S}_{y}[/tex]=hbar/2[tex]\sigma_{y}[/tex] you can solve the eigenequation [tex]\sigma_{y}[/tex]|[tex]\chi[/tex]> = [tex]\lambda[/tex]|[tex]\chi[/tex]> to find the eigenstates of [tex]\hat{S}_{y}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex]:

|+>y = 1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] (|[tex]\alpha[/tex]>y + i|[tex]\beta[/tex]>y) and

|->y = 1/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] (|[tex]\alpha[/tex]>y - i|[tex]\beta[/tex]>y)
But these are pretty standard results...
They are the states that spin in the +y and -y directions (please correct me if I am wrong on that). Do I just take y<+|[tex]\alpha[/tex]> and y<-|[tex]\alpha[/tex]>and get the coefficients for the two beams?

Whether or not i then need to multiple by the intensities found in the part beforehand is another question... (I know intensity != probability but it seems sensible?..)

Ultra thanks to anyone who can help -Im revising for my finals :)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 620
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to take each of the possible beams in the previous question which have states [tex] \left| \Psi_i \right\rangle [/tex] say and contract them with the +y eigenstate to get a coefficient. The previous intensities can be discarded

Thanks, i think I've done it now with your help. Each beam has 50/50 probability as you would expect. thanks again.

1. What is the significance of "Damn you, Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach" in the field of science?

The phrase "Damn you, Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach" is a quote from physicist Albert Einstein, expressing his frustration with the results of a famous experiment conducted by Stern and Gerlach in 1922. This experiment provided strong evidence for the existence of electron spin, a fundamental property of subatomic particles. It also paved the way for further research in quantum mechanics and was a crucial step in the development of modern physics.

2. Who were Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach?

Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach were German physicists who collaborated on the famous Stern-Gerlach experiment. Stern was a Nobel Prize winner for his work on molecular beams, while Gerlach was a professor at the University of Tübingen and a pioneer in the field of atomic physics.

3. What was the Stern-Gerlach experiment and what did it prove?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment involved passing a beam of silver atoms through a magnetic field and observing the deflection of the atoms. The results showed that the atoms had two distinct spin states, which could only be explained by the presence of an intrinsic magnetic moment. This proved the existence of electron spin and challenged classical physics theories, leading to the development of quantum mechanics.

4. How did the results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment impact the field of physics?

The results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment had a significant impact on the field of physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics. It provided strong evidence for the existence of electron spin and helped to develop our understanding of fundamental particles and their properties. It also led to the development of new technologies, such as the electron microscope, which have revolutionized scientific research.

5. What legacy do Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach leave behind?

Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach are remembered as influential figures in the field of physics, particularly for their groundbreaking work on the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Their research and discoveries have had a lasting impact on our understanding of the universe and continue to inspire scientists today. Their names are also immortalized in the term "Stern-Gerlach effect," which refers to the deflection of particles in a non-uniform magnetic field.