Damped oscillator amplitude with different damping constants

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 21K views
treverd
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sinusoidally varying driving force is applied to a damped harmonic oscillator of force constant k and mass m. If the damping constant has a value b_1, the amplitude is A_1 when the driving angular frequency equals sqrt (k/m).

In terms of A_1, what is the amplitude for the same driving frequency and the same driving force amplitude F_{max}, if the damping constant is 3b?

In terms of A_1, what is the amplitude for the same driving frequency and the same driving force amplitude F_{max}, if the damping constant is (1/2)b?

Homework Equations


A= (Fmax/(sqrt(k-mw^2)^2+(b^2w^2))

w= omega


The Attempt at a Solution


I try to put in the the b values but it is saying it is incorrect.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your work? How can I know what you did wrong if you don't show me your work?

EDIT: I see you figured it out. Good Job!