Find Damping of Material: Practical Experiments

In summary, the damping of material can be determined by inducing vibration on one side and measuring the vibration on the other side. The area enclosed within the hysteresis curve is a measure of the damping coefficient.
kashoo
How can we find practically,the damping of material...Actually we have Honeycomb Sandwich Panels of alumiunm & now we want to find out Damping from an experimental process...
Plz tell me the procedure to find out Damping...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Induce vibration on one side...measure vibration on the other side. What you measure vs. what you put in is your transmissibility.

Are you looking for actual testing guidelines?

We want to find out the energy absorbance capacity of panels in cas of induced vibration...CAtually we are in phase of performing Harmonic Analysis of Honeycomb sandwich Panels due to the load of differnet frequency range...For this purpose we need to get Damping & Damping Ratio of Sandwich Panels...
Is hysteretic Loop is right way of finding Damping?

Are you wanting to look at damping or isolation? I would think that an experimental modal analysis would give you your damping. However I would tend to think that you may have to do some other shaker testing to get isolation data over broad frequency ranges.

Let me take a look through some info to see if I can get some test methods a la ASTM.

I want to calculate the Damping of Sandwich Panels...i got the idea to test the sandwich panles with cyclic loading in loading/unloading so that i can get a graph of Force vs Displacement(Hooke's Law) ...The area of the hysteretic loop gives out damping of Material...is it accurate way to find out damping or is there any ASTM standard availabe?

Yes, the area enclosed within the hysteresis curve is a measure of the damping coefficient. That will be a fairly accurate way to determine damping if damping is the dominant dissipative mechanism (which, for the kind of experiment you have in mind, it should be). I can not off the top of my head recall the relationship between the damping coefficient and the energy loss per cycle, though i suspect it will be strain rate dependant.

If you have a strain gauge and an accelerometer, you can plot the force vs velocity. The slope, in the linear region is the damping coefficient. There is another possibility, but is quite instrumentation intensive.

If you drive (harmonically) the isolator at some frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] with a mass M>>m, (m is the mass of the isolator) supported by the isolator, then the ratio of the response amplitude to the driving amplitude, called the transmissibility, is given by :
[tex] K(\omega ) = \frac {x}{X} = \sqrt { \frac {\omega _0 ^4 + 4 \gamma ^2 \omega ^2}{(\omega _0 ^2 - \omega ^2)^2 + 4 \gamma ^2 \omega ^2} [/tex]

where [itex] \omega _0 = \sqrt {k/M} [/itex] is the natural frequency of the isolator panel (if k - the spring constant - is not known, a simple load-extension test will tell you what it is) amd [itex] \gamma = c/2M [/itex], where c is the damping coefficient.

So, by measuring K(w) at a range of frequencies, you can get a pretty good value for c. However, this requires a function generator, some appropriate kind of transducer to induce harmonic oscillations, an accelerometer, and a spectrum analyzer (and very likely a diff amp).

While I'm not certain what the ASTM recommended procedure involves, I know that the standard test is : E756-04 (Standard Test Method for Measuring Vibration-Damping Properties of Materials - developed by Committee E33.03 on Sound Transmission). However, this test only measures the loss factor [itex]\eta[/itex], which is in fact, the area under the hysteresis curve (I believe). I don't know if it actually tells you the damping coefficient. Would it be sufficient for you to know the loss factor ? The description of the test is not available online unless you choose to buy it from ASTM for about $40 or so. Perhaps someone has the ASTM Testing Handbook nearby and can look it up.

Last edited:

1. What is damping of material?

Damping is the reduction in amplitude of vibrations or oscillations over time due to the dissipation of energy. It is a characteristic property of materials and can greatly affect their performance and durability in various applications.

2. Why is it important to find the damping of a material?

Knowing the damping of a material is important for understanding its behavior under dynamic loading, such as vibrations or impacts. It can also help in selecting the right material for a specific application and predicting its lifespan.

3. What are some practical experiments to find the damping of a material?

Some common practical experiments to find the damping of a material include free vibration tests, forced vibration tests, and impact tests. These experiments involve subjecting the material to controlled vibrations and measuring its response over time.

4. How can the damping of a material be calculated from experimental data?

The damping of a material can be calculated using various methods such as logarithmic decrement, half-power bandwidth, or the energy dissipation method. These methods involve analyzing the data obtained from the practical experiments and using mathematical equations to determine the damping coefficient.

5. What factors can affect the damping of a material?

The damping of a material can be affected by various factors such as temperature, strain rate, and frequency of loading. The type of material, its microstructure, and any defects or imperfections can also influence its damping properties.