Daredevil motorcycle max height

In summary, the daredevil on a motorcycle reaches a maximum height of 0.1102556674m after leaving the end of a ramp with a speed of 39.5 m/s and reaching a speed of 38.0 m/s at the peak of the path, ignoring friction and air resistance. This is determined by using the equations Eo = mgy and Ek = 1/2mv^2 and applying the principle of conservation of energy.
Leid_X09

Homework Statement

A daredevil on a motorcycle leaves the end of a ramp with a speed of 39.5 m/s as in Figure P5.23. If his speed is 38.0 m/s when he reaches the peak of the path, what is the maximum height that he reaches? Ignore friction and air resistance.

Homework Equations

Eo = mgy

Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin. I need someone to cue me on what equation i should be using because frankly I can't even fathom. I thought perhaps Eo=Ek, but I'm not sure if this is it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright so in the beginning the motocycle has Ek only; however, when it reaches the top it gains some Ep therefore some Ek is transformed into Ep due to conservation of energy.

So

Ekinitial=Ekfinal+Ep

Ep = mgy

Ek = 1/2mv^2

so

1/2m(39.5)^2 = 1/2m(38)^2 + m(9.8)y

Now u can cross out the ms by factoring m from both sides and deviding boths sides by m.
1/2(39.5)^2 = 1/2(38)^2 + (9.8)y

y=0.1102556674m

I would suggest that the appropriate equation to use in this situation is the conservation of energy equation, which states that the initial energy (Eo) is equal to the final energy (Ef). In this case, the initial energy would be the kinetic energy (Ek) of the motorcycle rider at the end of the ramp, and the final energy would be the potential energy (mgy) at the peak of the path.

Therefore, we can set up the equation as follows:

Ek = mgy

1/2mv^2 = mgy

We can cancel out the mass (m) on both sides of the equation, leaving us with:

1/2v^2 = gy

To solve for the maximum height (y), we can rearrange the equation to isolate y:

y = 1/2v^2/g

Using the given values of 38.0 m/s for v and assuming a gravitational acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, we can plug these values into the equation to calculate the maximum height:

y = 1/2(38.0 m/s)^2/9.8 m/s^2

y = 72.65 meters

Therefore, the maximum height that the daredevil reaches is approximately 72.65 meters.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions with no air resistance or friction, so the actual maximum height reached by the daredevil may be slightly different in real life.

1. How high can a Daredevil motorcycle jump?

The maximum height a Daredevil motorcycle can jump depends on various factors such as speed, ramp angle, and the skill of the rider. However, the current record for the highest jump on a Daredevil motorcycle is 351 feet, achieved by Robbie Maddison in 2008.

2. What safety measures are in place for Daredevil motorcycle stunts?

Daredevil motorcycle stunts are incredibly dangerous, so various safety measures are taken to minimize the risk of injury. These include wearing protective gear such as helmets and padding, practicing extensively, and having a team of trained professionals on standby in case of an emergency.

3. What is the average speed of a Daredevil motorcycle during a stunt?

The average speed of a Daredevil motorcycle during a stunt can vary greatly depending on the type of stunt being performed. However, most stunts involve speeds ranging from 60-80 mph, with some reaching speeds of over 100 mph.

4. How long does it take to prepare for a Daredevil motorcycle stunt?

The length of time it takes to prepare for a Daredevil motorcycle stunt can vary depending on the complexity of the stunt and the experience of the rider. However, most stunts require weeks or even months of training and preparation to ensure safety and success.

5. What is the most dangerous part of a Daredevil motorcycle stunt?

Every part of a Daredevil motorcycle stunt carries a certain level of danger, but the most dangerous part is usually the landing. If the rider does not land properly, they could suffer serious injuries or even death. That's why extensive training and safety measures are crucial for these stunts.