Darkest Place on the Surface of the Earth

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter saddlestone-man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Surface
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
saddlestone-man
Messages
80
Reaction score
20
TL;DR
Where is the darkest place in the northern hemisphere?
Hello All

On mid-winter's day, where is the darkest place in the northern hemisphere, and at what time? I'm assuming no moon, no northern lights, and no local light pollution.

Would it be at the North Pole?

best regards ... Stef
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
saddlestone-man said:
Would it be at the North Pole?
Probably, but this is water, not land. But I guess that you can also have this anywhere in northern Siberia.
 
fresh_42 said:
Probably, but this is water, not land. But I guess that you can also have this anywhere in northern Siberia.
Is there always some residual aurora? Seems possible. My guess would be Pacific islands.
 
hutchphd said:
Is there always some residual aurora? Seems possible. My guess would be Pacific islands.
But those islands among them which are in the Northern hemisphere are all in the North, too, or crowded like the Philippines or Japan, so the same argument about cosmic radiation applies. And I counted Kamchatka as part of Northern Siberia, although somewhere in the Altai is probably better.
 
Deep in a forest somewhere, at night obviously. As for what time, you said to assume no 'local' light pollution, but non-local is a problem? 8000 years ago then. I'd have chosen a cave, but that's not on the surface.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JamieSalaor
fresh_42 said:
But those islands among them which are in the Northern hemisphere are all in the North, too, or crowded like the Philippines or Japan, so the same argument about cosmic radiation applies. And I counted Kamchatka as part of Northern Siberia, although somewhere in the Altai is probably better.
How about Midway or Wake or Eniwetok. They are north. Not too many people on Eniwetok now.
 
What are your assumed siources of local light pollution? One possible source is oudoor electric lights. Another is distant non-local electric lights illuminating clouds. What others do you have in mind?

What are your assumed sources of other light?
Two possibiities are stars and satellites. Again what are your assumed sources of other light?

My guess at an answer to your quesstion is a large desssert such as the Sahara. Not many clouds there.
 
I've spent more time in the middle of the Pacific and Indian oceans than I care to think about. Many, many times I've seen it dark enough that the light of just the Milky Way cast noticeable shadows. I've *never* seen that anywhere else but the middle of the oceans.

Another odd effect only seen in mid ocean is a clear night with a full Moon and until the Moon is far enough above the horizon that you lose the "harvest moon" effect, it appears to sit on top of a column of complete blackness. No stars. Just as wide as the full moon itself.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY