Darkest Place on the Surface of the Earth

In summary: This has never happened to me on the mainland.I've never seen that either. It's definitely an odd effect.
saddlestone-man
TL;DR Summary
Where is the darkest place in the northern hemisphere?
Hello All

On mid-winter's day, where is the darkest place in the northern hemisphere, and at what time? I'm assuming no moon, no northern lights, and no local light pollution.

Would it be at the North Pole?

best regards ... Stef

Astronomy news on Phys.org
saddlestone-man said:
Would it be at the North Pole?
Probably, but this is water, not land. But I guess that you can also have this anywhere in northern Siberia.

fresh_42 said:
Probably, but this is water, not land. But I guess that you can also have this anywhere in northern Siberia.
Is there always some residual aurora? Seems possible. My guess would be Pacific islands.

hutchphd said:
Is there always some residual aurora? Seems possible. My guess would be Pacific islands.
But those islands among them which are in the Northern hemisphere are all in the North, too, or crowded like the Philippines or Japan, so the same argument about cosmic radiation applies. And I counted Kamchatka as part of Northern Siberia, although somewhere in the Altai is probably better.

Deep in a forest somewhere, at night obviously. As for what time, you said to assume no 'local' light pollution, but non-local is a problem? 8000 years ago then. I'd have chosen a cave, but that's not on the surface.

Likes JamieSalaor
fresh_42 said:
But those islands among them which are in the Northern hemisphere are all in the North, too, or crowded like the Philippines or Japan, so the same argument about cosmic radiation applies. And I counted Kamchatka as part of Northern Siberia, although somewhere in the Altai is probably better.
How about Midway or Wake or Eniwetok. They are north. Not too many people on Eniwetok now.

What are your assumed siources of local light pollution? One possible source is oudoor electric lights. Another is distant non-local electric lights illuminating clouds. What others do you have in mind?

What are your assumed sources of other light?
Two possibiities are stars and satellites. Again what are your assumed sources of other light?

My guess at an answer to your quesstion is a large desssert such as the Sahara. Not many clouds there.

I've spent more time in the middle of the Pacific and Indian oceans than I care to think about. Many, many times I've seen it dark enough that the light of just the Milky Way cast noticeable shadows. I've *never* seen that anywhere else but the middle of the oceans.

Another odd effect only seen in mid ocean is a clear night with a full Moon and until the Moon is far enough above the horizon that you lose the "harvest moon" effect, it appears to sit on top of a column of complete blackness. No stars. Just as wide as the full moon itself.

Likes diogenesNY

1. What is the Darkest Place on the Surface of the Earth?

The Darkest Place on the Surface of the Earth is a cave called the Krubera Cave located in the Arabika Massif of the Gagra Range in Abkhazia, Georgia. It is known for its extreme depth and lack of natural light, making it the darkest place on the surface of the Earth.

2. How deep is the Krubera Cave?

The Krubera Cave has been explored to a depth of 2,197 meters (7,208 feet). It is the deepest known cave in the world and has over 15 kilometers (9 miles) of explored passages.

3. What makes the Krubera Cave so dark?

The Krubera Cave is located in a remote area and its entrance is very narrow, which limits the amount of natural light that can enter. Additionally, the cave is known for its complex and twisting passages, which further restrict the light from reaching its depths.

4. Are there any living organisms in the Krubera Cave?

Yes, there are various types of organisms living in the Krubera Cave, including bacteria, fungi, and insects. These organisms have adapted to the extreme darkness and lack of nutrients by developing unique characteristics and behaviors.

5. Why do scientists study the Krubera Cave?

Scientists study the Krubera Cave to better understand the geological and biological processes that occur in extreme environments. The cave also provides valuable information about the Earth's history and the potential for life on other planets with similar conditions.