DaVinci Code question - Fibonacci Series

In summary, the sequence they use to access the Swiss Bank Account - the Fibonacci series - has hidden meaning to the author.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Warning: minor spoilers

I'm sure there are a hundred fora devoted to discussion about The DaVinci code, but, well I'm here.

So, to anyone who's read the book, my question concerns the sequence they use when accessing the Swiss Bank Account - the Fibonacci series ( Chapter 44 - p.204-205 in the paperback).

They initially enter the sequence as written:1-3-3-2-2-1-1-1-8-5, but Sophie changes her mind. She enters the F-sequence in order 1-1-2-3-5-8-1-3-2-1.

Her logic:
"It's far too coincidental that this supposedly random number account number could rearranged to form the Fibonacci sequence..."

"...he would have chosen an account number that had meaning to him, something he could easily remember..."

'...When the Fibonacci sequence was melded into a single ten-digit number, it became virtually unrecognizable. Furthermore, it perfectly explained why the scrambled numbers could be rearranged to form the perfect progression...'

I don't get the logic here.

"...When the Fibonacci sequence was melded into a single ten-digit number, it became virtually unrecognizable..."

They're suggesting that the F-sequence 1123581321 is somehow *less* recognizable than the original scrambled sequence 1332211185?

"...it perfectly explained why the scrambled numbers could be rearranged to form the perfect progression..."

How does it do that?? We KNOW it can be rearranged, because we SAW the message through the scrambling: we saw the Fibonacci Sequence. What more explanation is required?

What am I missing?

1] He created an account number.
2] He needed it to be memorable, so he chose 1123581321.
3] He needed to write it on the floor.
4] ?? He decided to write the numbers randomly? He just mixed them up so it wasn't obvious except to a cryptographer/mathematician?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. And, in reading my own question - now 13 years forgotten - I see how others couldn't figure out what I was getting at.

Likes Wrichik Basu

What is the Fibonacci Series?

The Fibonacci Series is a mathematical sequence in which each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. So the sequence goes 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, and so on.

What is the connection between the Fibonacci Series and the DaVinci Code?

The DaVinci Code, a novel by Dan Brown, heavily references the Fibonacci Series in its plot. The main character, Robert Langdon, uses the sequence to solve a series of puzzles and uncover secrets.

Is the Fibonacci Series real?

Yes, the Fibonacci Series is a real mathematical concept that has been studied and used for centuries. It is often found in nature and has practical applications in fields such as economics and computer science.

What is the significance of the Fibonacci Series?

The Fibonacci Series has significance in multiple fields, including mathematics, art, and literature. It is also seen as a symbol of balance and harmony, as the ratio of each consecutive pair of numbers approaches the "golden ratio" of 1.618.

Can the Fibonacci Series be used to solve codes and puzzles like in the DaVinci Code?

While the Fibonacci Series can be a useful tool in problem-solving, it is not a magic code-breaking tool like it is portrayed in the DaVinci Code. It is just one of many mathematical concepts that can be applied in solving puzzles and codes.