1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Electromagnetic Motor-small question

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/206/95144436.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Hand rules

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a practice question with the answer already given in the diagram. I know how to draw the coils and use the left hand rule to find the poles. I do not understand b), though. I know the two north poles repel, but why does A move forward instead of backwards?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it has to do with manner in which the brushes are drawn with respect to the rest of the commutator. See the part of the diagram near where "Front" and "Back" are written.

Imagine what would happen if it moved in each direction (A moved forward, and A moved backwards). Consider the impact of the way the brushes/commutator are drawn.

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    Oh okay, I think I get it. Normally the direction can be determined if the armature is drawn slightly turned. I assumed the 'front' and 'back' labels were written as part of the answer, I guess they were originally given. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook