DC Electromagnetic Motor-small question

In summary, the conversation is about a practice question involving coils and the left hand rule. The question involves understanding the movement of a magnet with two north poles repelling each other. The solution involves considering the placement of the brushes and the commutator. The asker gains a better understanding of the solution and thanks the responder.
moshrom

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/206/95144436.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

Hand rules

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a practice question with the answer already given in the diagram. I know how to draw the coils and use the left hand rule to find the poles. I do not understand b), though. I know the two north poles repel, but why does A move forward instead of backwards?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
moshrom said:
I do not understand b), though. I know the two north poles repel, but why does A move forward instead of backwards?

I think it has to do with manner in which the brushes are drawn with respect to the rest of the commutator. See the part of the diagram near where "Front" and "Back" are written.

Imagine what would happen if it moved in each direction (A moved forward, and A moved backwards). Consider the impact of the way the brushes/commutator are drawn.

Oh okay, I think I get it. Normally the direction can be determined if the armature is drawn slightly turned. I assumed the 'front' and 'back' labels were written as part of the answer, I guess they were originally given. Thanks.

1. What is a DC Electromagnetic Motor?

A DC electromagnetic motor is a type of electric motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy through the interaction of a magnetic field and an electric current. It is commonly used in household appliances, industrial machinery, and vehicles.

2. How does a DC Electromagnetic Motor work?

A DC electromagnetic motor works by passing an electrical current through a coil of wire, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with a permanent magnet, causing the coil to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a DC Electromagnetic Motor?

DC electromagnetic motors are efficient, reliable, and have a high power-to-weight ratio. They also have a simple design, making them easy to manufacture and maintain. Additionally, they can provide precise control of speed and torque.

4. What are the main components of a DC Electromagnetic Motor?

The main components of a DC electromagnetic motor include a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), brushes, and a commutator. The stator contains the permanent magnet and the rotor consists of the coil of wire. The brushes and commutator are used to transfer electricity to the coil and change the direction of the current to keep the motor spinning.

5. What are some common applications of DC Electromagnetic Motors?

DC electromagnetic motors are used in a wide range of applications, including electric vehicles, robots, elevators, fans, and power tools. They are also commonly used in industrial machinery such as conveyor belts, pumps, and compressors.