Electromagnetism and magnetic stuff

In summary: They can curve and take any shape, but the general direction always remains the same. So there isn't really a "standard" way they go, as long as they follow the rule of going from north to south. In summary, the diagram represents magnetic field lines and their direction, with the completed loop showing a general path of the field within the magnet. These field lines always go from the north pole to the south pole, and can take any shape as long as they follow this direction.
CAT 2

Homework Statement

Currently I am taking a course that teaches half the material and let's you figure out/ guess the other half. I have been pretty good at succeeding in this so far, but this one has me stumped. It is on my practice test.
ScreenShot_20180205215726.png

What in the world does this diagram mean?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answers to the practice test, and so I know that the following is the correct answer. I just don't understand it.
ScreenShot_20180205213219.png

I really want to understand this. From what I have been taught:

a) the v above on the right represents direction of motion.

b) all north poles have a south pole, why do they have no south pole on the right above, but have a north pole. Is the south pole assumed, or did I miss something?

c) The circles on the drawing represent the magnetic field... but they are going in opposite directions. Why?

If someone could just explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated. Please remember that this is my first year ever doing physics and this is very basic, please write it so that I can understand.

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20180205213219.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 323
  • ScreenShot_20180205213219.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 426
  • ScreenShot_20180205215726.png
    ScreenShot_20180205215726.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
a) Yes, you are right.

b) Yes, it is assumed. Magnetic monopoles haven't been proven to exist yet hahaha

c) Refer to Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current in the coil will produce a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the incoming magnet. The "loops" you see are the magnetic field lines produced by the induced current in the coil, so you might want to look that stuff up. In fact, they arent going in the opposite direction - field lines always go from the north pole to the south pole

Feel free to ask for more clarification :)

Likes CAT 2
Thanks for your answers, they were very understandable! :)
You mentioned they are always going from North pole to South pole; however, above they go in a complete circle around the magnet. Doesn't this mean that they go from North pole to South pole in half a circle and then from South pole to North pole in the other half a circle?

How do I know which direction to place the circles in on a magnet, because in the above magnet the two circles go in different directions, how do I know which direction to put them in?

CAT 2 said:
Thanks for your answers, they were very understandable! :)
You mentioned they are always going from North pole to South pole; however, above they go in a complete circle around the magnet. Doesn't this mean that they go from North pole to South pole in half a circle and then from South pole to North pole in the other half a circle?

How do I know which direction to place the circles in on a magnet, because in the above magnet the two circles go in different directions, how do I know which direction to put them in?
With reference to the diagram you have provided, the "completed" part of the loop is merely an indication of magnetic field lines within the magnet, but we should not concern ourselves with that now (as it isn't as simple as the diagram suggests, the loop is to make it look "more complete"); it is more important to understand the external magnetic field for your questions.

The directions of "circles" in the diagram aren't necessarily clockwise or anticlockwise for all cases. For instance, look at this image:

https://www.siyavula.com/read/science/grade-10/magnetism/images/7348b7f2e269d9d94f6541e7fe671eca.png

The north pole is one end of a magnet, and the south is the other end. Hence, you could see it as though all "arrows" (magnetic field lines) come out from the magnet's north pole, and then finding themselves a path to the other end or another south pole. Generally you shouldn't be needing to draw full circles, but rather just arrows (curved or straight) from the north end of a magnet to the south end of the same or another magnet.

Hope this helps :)

Likes CAT 2
CAT 2 said:
screenshot_20180205213219-png.png
So basically, those two circles drawn around the magnet could be in either direction, as long as they are in different directions relative to each other. If the top one was going around ← this way then the bottom one would be going around →this way. But it would be OK if the top one was drawn going around →this way and the bottom one going around←this way. This is possible because both ways have the field traveling from North to South.

And they shouldn't even really be circles, just lines from North to South.

Am I right in this, or is there a standard way that they always go?

I hope this makes sense!

Attachments

• screenshot_20180205213219-png.png
    screenshot_20180205213219-png.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 266
CAT 2 said:
And they shouldn't even really be circles, just lines from North to South.

Am I right in this, or is there a standard way that they always go?

I hope this makes sense!

Precisely! Field lines are always north to south.

Hi, bro, are u a student of ILC, i recently have had some problems with it, can we talk about it together? I am really sorry that i am not a native speaker so that my english is not very good. Here's my Facebook account, thx, bro
upload_2019-1-17_17-53-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-17_17-53-43.png
    upload_2019-1-17_17-53-43.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 253
Gotta be careful.
Given a permanent magnet with N and S poles, the B field points N to S outside the magnet but S to N inside.
Same for a solenoid with N and S poles.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interaction between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electrically charged particles create magnetic fields and how moving magnetic fields can create electric currents.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work because of the alignment of their atoms. Each atom has a magnetic field, and in a magnet, these fields are aligned in the same direction, creating a stronger overall magnetic field. This allows magnets to attract or repel other magnets or objects made of magnetic materials.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of a material that is naturally magnetic and retains its magnetism without the need for an external source of electricity. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is made by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a magnetic core, creating a temporary magnetic field.

4. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism is used in many everyday objects, such as motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity and in electronic devices like computers and cell phones.

5. How does the Earth's magnetic field work?

The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of molten iron in its outer core. This creates a magnetic field that surrounds the planet and protects it from harmful solar radiation. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can change over time, and this is why compasses must be regularly updated to account for these changes.