De Broglie wavelength of a 2 eV neutron

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
as123
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the de - Broglie wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev .( mass of proton mp= 1.67*10^-27 kg )

Homework Equations


Wavelength= nh/ 2π
KE = eVs = 1/ 2mv^2
eVs=hf
Wavelength= v*f

The Attempt at a Solution


To calculate the wavelength at first I required velocity that I got from second equation.
I substituted mass of proton since its equal to that of neutron.
Then I got the frequency from third equation and put it in equation fourth.
But I didn't get the required answer.
De- Broglie wavelength is associated with first equation . so I am confused with it
I will really appreciate your help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
as123 said:

Homework Statement


Calculate the de - Broglie wavelength associated with a neutron moving with energy of 2ev .( mass of proton mp= 1.67*10^-27 kg )

Weird that they give you the mass of the proton. Likely it's a typo. You can use that value as the mass of the neutron as it's essentially the same.

Look up the definition of the deBroglie wavelength.

Wavelength= nh/ 2π

##\frac{nh}{2\pi}## is the angular momentum of an electron in the Bohr atom, it's not a wavelength.

eVs=hf

##hf## is the energy of a photon, a massless particle that moves at speed c. It's not the energy of a massive particle such as a neutron that travels at a speed less than c.

Wavelength= v*f
##\frac{v}{f}## is the wavelength of a wave of frequency ##f## moving at speed ##v##.
 
Last edited:
[Moderator's note: Fixed a broken quote tag]
Mister T said:
Weird that they give you the mass of the proton. Likely it's a typo. You can use that value as the mass of the neutron as it's essentially the same.

Look up the definition of the deBroglie wavelength.
##\frac{nh}{2\pi}## is the angular momentum of an electron in the Bohr atom, it's not a wavelength.
##hf## is the energy of a photon, a massless particle that moves at speed c. It's not the energy of a massive particle such as a neutron that travels at a speed less than c.##\frac{v}{f}## is the wavelength of a wave of frequency ##f## moving at speed ##v##.
Oo. Thank you. I got it
de-broglie wavelength is h/ mv and v=
√2E/m
Putting the values I got the answer as
2.02*10^-11m . but the answer given is 6.4*10^-13 . I think I messed up somewhere. I want some help.thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
as123 said:
Oo. Thank you. I got it
de-broglie wavelength is h/ mv and v=
√2E/m
Putting the values I got the answer as
2.02*10^-11m . but the answer given is 6.4*10^-13 . I think I messed up somewhere. I want some help.thank you.
Can you check your question source to confirm the given energy of the neutron? Was the value given in eV or keV?
 
gneill said:
Can you check your question source to confirm the given energy of the neutron? Was the value given in eV or keV?
The energy is given in eV
I checked two sources. But I got the correct answer with 2kev .
Thank you very much for the hint.