Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De facto standard file format for electronic circuits

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    What's the most common way to store electronic circuits in digital form ?

What is the ".pdf document" equivalent for the electronic world ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Probably a PSPICE file ... though you can also use LaTeX markup with an electronics package.
    I don't think there is a proprietory circuit modelling program that is so commonly used that it's internal file format could be considered a defacto standard. However - large companies may have their internal ideas.

(Aside: Portable Document Format [pdf] is ISO 32000-1:2008 i.e. actual not defacto.)

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3
    Hi,
    thank you for your answer; I'm not really marking a difference between proprietary and open standards, I just like to know if there is any kind of file format that can be considered a good proxy for sharing informations about the design of your circuits .

It's weird that the EE community is basically one of the very few without any tangible standard when it comes to storing and representing informations that is vital for what they do .

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It's a competitive industry. Companies don't want to make it easy for others to use their designs.

Having said that, there are some common formats. GDS is the common format for storing layout information. SPICE net lists are just text files, usually stored with a .cir extension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook