Dealing with creepy students as a TA

• Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary: You seem to be very worried about being a "nice person" rather than being a professional.In summary, the conversation revolves around a TA who is facing inappropriate behavior from a student in the class she teaches. The student has been sending her inappropriate text messages and making uncomfortable advances towards her. The TA is unsure of how to handle the situation and is reluctant to report the student for sexual harassment. Other teachers recommend reporting the student and being assertive with him to protect her own credibility and avoid any potential future issues.
Vanadium 50 said:
When you say "I am not accusing someone of something, but..." it's a transparently backhanded way of accusing them. Samnorris93 deserves better.

Yes, lively imagination. Or complete lack of it. Just because you are unable to understand what I said and unwilling to ask does not make it so. What I meant is that even when Samnorris93 tells the truth, it seems only right to hear both sides or to wait for someone who has more information on both sides to pass judgment. So much for your transparency. And you seem to believe that it is possible to clearly interpret the meaning of statements made by someone you know nothing about. This is highly questionable to me.

A gentlemanly rule in discussions is to make an effort to see your (ideological/conversation) opponent's argument in the best possible light. You have done the opposite, knowing absolutely nothing about me.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Choppy said:
<Snip>Are you expecting the student in question to come into this thread and argue his side of the story?

No, just that we should take this into account; many seem to have tried and convicted the student. I have to admit that, as a male, I do have an interest in stopping
these automatic convictions of rape and harassment that are passed before all the information is known. Of course I am against rap, but I am also against false accusations that can ruin someone's life. Try finding a reasonable job after being falsely accused (NOTE this has never happened to me, but I do know people to whom it has happened and even after suing an winning are unable to work again).

When you say that sexual harassment occurs often, you seem to be bypassing the trial or committee evaluation that should happen before one concludes something went wrong.

Again, I don't mean to minimize the plight o victims of sexual harassment, but I want to point out that false allegations can be just as hurtful in many different respects. Just like there is a stupid male fringe that thinks it is OK to treat women as objects , there is an equally idiotic female fringe that sees men as predators, waiting for any chance to take advantage of women.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
No, just that we should take this into account; many seem to have tried and convicted the student.
I don't think that's a fair characterization. The OP asked how to deal with a situation, and many here recommended the student should be reported to the proper campus authorities because the described behavior clearly qualified as sexual harassment. Was the OP embellishing or lying outright? Perhaps. We don't know. But it doesn't really matter because we're not the ones responsible for reporting or resolving the situation.

There are, in all likelihood, people on campus whose job it is to deal with situations like this. They have the training to investigate and appropriately deal with the parties involved. I'm not sure why you seem to assume that any report will result in the hammer coming down on the kid and ruin his life forever. For all we know, they might have found that the kid was simply clueless and didn't realize how his behavior was perceived by others, and that a simple conversation would resolve the situation.

Likes micromass
WWGD said:
No, just that we should take this into account; many seem to have tried and convicted the student. I have to admit that, as a male, I do have an interest in stopping
these automatic convictions of rape and harassment that are passed before all the information is known. Of course I am against rap, but I am also against false accusations that can ruin someone's life. Try finding a reasonable job after being falsely accused (NOTE this has never happened to me, but I do know people to whom it has happened and even after suing an winning are unable to work again).

When you say that sexual harassment occurs often, you seem to be bypassing the trial or committee evaluation that should happen before one concludes something went wrong.

Again, I don't mean to minimize the plight o victims of sexual harassment, but I want to point out that false allegations can be just as hurtful in many different respects. Just like there is a stupid male fringe that thinks it is OK to treat women as objects , there is an equally idiotic female fringe that sees men as predators, waiting for any chance to take advantage of women.

But that is why most of us asked the OP to REPORT the incident so that it can be investigated!

Look, the policy on sexual harassment is VERY clear in many campuses and work places. If Person A feels that what has been done to him/her satisfies the criteria of sexual harassment, then he/she has the right to seek assistance via reporting such an incident. This is what happened here, i.e. we heard from her side of the story. We then indicated the NEXT step she should be doing, and what *I* had indicated were based on ALL the sexual harassment training and briefing that I've been given, both as an employee of a Federal Lab and a US educational institution.

Please note that many such complaints filed in US campuses are often resolved amicably, i.e. once the authority steps in and investigated the situation, both parties often resolved this issue, especially the "offender" once he/she realizes that what he/she had done could easily escalate into something that could ruin his/her future. So the act of reporting such incident does NOT always result in the accused being destroyed.

But it must be reported first!

Zz.

Likes billy_joule and vela
WWGD said:

You're confusing an actual event with the findings of a committee. Incidents of sexual harassment occur whether a committee investigates them as such or not.

If a person goes out and intentionally kills another person, a murder has been committed whether a police investigation leads to a trial that ultimately convicts the murderer or not. Regardless of the finding, you have a dead victim.

Sexual harassment occurs on campuses. That's why most universities have policies that define it within their codes of conduct, and why they have ombudsmen. It's why the initiate programs to prevent it. If it did not occur without the finding of a committee, then you could solve the problem by simply not having any disciplinary committees or addressing it in civil courts... but fortunately we know that burying our heads in the sand doesn't solve anything.

Likes billy_joule and Niflheim
Just report it to someone who is in authority. Neglecting it may send wrong signals along the way.

Several recent posts were deleted. The OPs question about harassment as a TA was answered about 3 months ago or more, and I don't think this is the appropriate forum for a general discussion on the politics of sexual harassment accusations. If you would like to discuss such a general topic, please do so in the politics section.