Debating on entering the Automotive Engineering field

In summary, the advice is to keep your goals in sight, study hard, and don't be afraid to apply to universities.
Anchorsaweigh
I'm currently trying to figure out what I should do when I'm out of the navy after my 5 years of service in early 2015. I've always had an interest in engineering (especially automotive) for a while now. I'm a huge gear head. Anyways the only issue I'm facing is I will be 25 my freshman year, so a pretty late start. I feel like it might make it harder finding a job, being 7 years older then my fellow graduates. Should I be concerned at all? Also I've been looking at University of Texas at Arlington, mainly because I know I could get in no issues and they have a formula SAE program. Is this a solid choice or should I look elsewhere? I was a real slacker in High School so my grades weren't great, so I'm kinda scared to apply to any of the bigger university's, like the University of Michigan. But I was accepted into the US Navys Nuclear Engineering program, I didn't make it all the way through, but did almost make it almost to the end. Even though I doubt any University will care what I did in the service.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're not over the hill at 25. All this means is that you will be more mature than will your cohorts. As a 25 year old sailor, I presume you've fully satiated your wild side in various Navy ports of call. Been there, done that, now you can prepare for the rest of your life. Most kids go to college with an ill-defined notion of why they are going, what they are going to do when they get out. Once again you have a leg up. Keep that end goal in sight. Take full advantage of the DoD's educational programs.

im 24 and just starting out. I wouldn't worry about it. but you will have to study harder than everyone else. since you have been out of the math game for a while. I would get a good grasp on algebra, basic trig, geometry, and basic physics if I were you before even thinking about stepping foot in class. as long as you keep on it and study hard you will do fine. the bad thing is I kinda feel bored in class since I am just reviewing what I had been studying 6 months before I started summer classes.

University of Michigan has the best Automotive program in the world, at-least better than the one I'm in Germany. Their formula student team wins a good number competitions in Germany also. Not sure if the professors reply to emails there,but I would walk-in and ask the secretary for an appointment.

1. What are the job responsibilities in the field of Automotive Engineering?

As an Automotive Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and testing vehicles and their components. This includes creating new designs, improving existing ones, and solving technical problems related to vehicle performance, safety, and efficiency.

2. What skills and qualifications are required to enter the Automotive Engineering field?

To enter the Automotive Engineering field, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Other important skills include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and knowledge of automotive systems and components.

3. What are the potential career opportunities in the Automotive Engineering field?

There are a variety of career opportunities in the Automotive Engineering field, including roles in design, research and development, manufacturing, and testing. You may also have the opportunity to work in specific areas such as engine design, vehicle dynamics, or emissions control.

4. How is the job market for Automotive Engineers?

The job market for Automotive Engineers is expected to grow at an average rate in the coming years. With the increasing demand for more efficient and environmentally-friendly vehicles, there will be a need for skilled engineers to design and develop these technologies.

5. What is the best way to prepare for a career in Automotive Engineering?

To prepare for a career in Automotive Engineering, it is important to pursue a degree in a related field and gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs. It is also beneficial to stay updated on the latest technologies and advancements in the automotive industry through continuing education and networking with professionals in the field.