Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debating on entering the Automotive Engineering field

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    I'm currently trying to figure out what I should do when I'm out of the navy after my 5 years of service in early 2015. I've always had an interest in engineering (especially automotive) for a while now. I'm a huge gear head. Anyways the only issue I'm facing is I will be 25 my freshman year, so a pretty late start. I feel like it might make it harder finding a job, being 7 years older then my fellow graduates. Should I be concerned at all? Also I've been looking at University of Texas at Arlington, mainly because I know I could get in no issues and they have a formula SAE program. Is this a solid choice or should I look elsewhere? I was a real slacker in High School so my grades weren't great, so I'm kinda scared to apply to any of the bigger university's, like the University of Michigan. But I was accepted into the US Navys Nuclear Engineering program, I didn't make it all the way through, but did almost make it almost to the end. Even though I doubt any University will care what I did in the service.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long post.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're not over the hill at 25. All this means is that you will be more mature than will your cohorts. As a 25 year old sailor, I presume you've fully satiated your wild side in various Navy ports of call. Been there, done that, now you can prepare for the rest of your life. Most kids go to college with an ill-defined notion of why they are going, what they are going to do when they get out. Once again you have a leg up. Keep that end goal in sight. Take full advantage of the DoD's educational programs.

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3

462chevelle

Gold Member

im 24 and just starting out. I wouldn't worry about it. but you will have to study harder than everyone else. since you have been out of the math game for a while. I would get a good grasp on algebra, basic trig, geometry, and basic physics if I were you before even thinking about stepping foot in class. as long as you keep on it and study hard you will do fine. the bad thing is I kinda feel bored in class since im just reviewing what I had been studying 6 months before I started summer classes.

5. Jul 7, 2013 #4
    University of Michigan has the best Automotive program in the world, at-least better than the one I'm in Germany. Their formula student team wins a good number competitions in Germany also. Not sure if the professors reply to emails there,but I would walk-in and ask the secretary for an appointment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook