Decay - How does this notation represent a reaction?

In summary, the given notation corresponds to a nuclear reaction involving boron-10 and an alpha particle, resulting in the production of a nitrogen-14 nucleus which then undergoes beta-plus decay to form a carbon-13 nucleus with the emission of a proton. The end product has an atomic mass number of 13 and an atomic number of 6. This notation is commonly used by nuclear astrophysicists to represent complex reaction networks in stars.
phyzmatix

Homework Statement

[tex]\mbox{What is the atomic number Z, the atomic mass number A, and the element X in the reaction} \ _{5}^{10}B(\alpha,p)_{Z}^{A}X[/tex]

Homework Equations

If my understanding of the question is correct, then we are dealing with alpha decay and beta-plus decay.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find an example of this notation for the reaction in my textbook, so I assumed that it meant:

[tex]_{5}^{10}B \ \mbox{undergoes alpha decay and the resultant product undergoes beta-plus decay to form} \ _{Z}^{A}X[/tex]

And got the following:

[tex]_{5}^{10}B \ \mbox{undergoes alpha decay}[/tex]

[tex]_{5}^{10}B \rightarrow _{3}^{8}Li + ^{4}He[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{and} \ _{3}^{8}Li \ \mbox{undergoes beta-plus decay}[/tex]

[tex]p \rightarrow n + e^+ + v[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{So,} \ _{3}^{8}Li \ \mbox{transforms as follows}[/tex]

[tex]_{3}^{8}Li \rightarrow _{2}^{8}He + e^+ + v[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{Finally,} \ A = 8, Z = 2, X = He.[/tex]

Please tell me if my interpretation of the notation (and subsequently my reasoning) is indeed correct.

Thanks
phyz

Physics news on Phys.org
This notation is peculiar to nuclear astrophysicists, I think; I'm not sure other nuclear physicists notate reactions quite that way. (It's handy, though, when you have to write down the various chains of reactions that take place in stars, since some of the reaction networks can run to dozens of processes...)

So most people would write [tex]
\ _{5}^{10}B + \alpha \rightarrow p + _{Z}^{A}X[/tex]. There are 14 nucleons involved here, 7 of them being protons, so the product should have 13 nucleons, of which 6 are protons.

Your first step should be a combination of boron-10 with an alpha particle, to produce nitrogen-14:

[tex]
_{5}^{10}B + _{2}^{4}He \rightarrow _{7}^{14}N [/tex] .

Apparently, the nitrogen-14 is "excited" and releases a proton, leading to

[tex] _{7}^{14}N \rightarrow _{1}^{1}p + _{6}^{13}C [/tex] .

Since the nitrogen nucleus doesn't exist for long, it is simply omitted here and the net reaction alone is presented.

dynamicsolo said:
This notation is peculiar to nuclear astrophysicists, I think; I'm not sure other nuclear physicists notate reactions quite that way. (It's handy, though, when you have to write down the various chains of reactions that take place in stars, since some of the reaction networks can run to dozens of processes...)

So most people would write [tex]
\ _{5}^{10}B + \alpha \rightarrow p + _{Z}^{A}X[/tex]. There are 14 nucleons involved here, 7 of them being protons, so the product should have 13 nucleons, of which 6 are protons.

Your first step should be a combination of boron-10 with an alpha particle, to produce nitrogen-14:

[tex]
_{5}^{10}B + _{2}^{4}He \rightarrow _{7}^{14}N [/tex] .

Apparently, the nitrogen-14 is "excited" and releases a proton, leading to

[tex] _{7}^{14}N \rightarrow _{1}^{1}p + _{6}^{13}C [/tex] .

Since the nitrogen nucleus doesn't exist for long, it is simply omitted here and the net reaction alone is presented.

Thank you very much for an excellent explanation.

(Turns out it's a good thing I asked hey? :wink:)

1. What is the meaning of "decay" in this notation?

The term "decay" refers to a type of nuclear reaction in which an unstable atom releases energy and transforms into a more stable form. This process can occur naturally or can be induced in a laboratory setting.

2. How is the decay of an atom represented in notation?

In notation, the decay of an atom is represented by a nuclear equation, which shows the reactant atom on the left side and the products of the decay on the right side. The reactant atom is typically denoted by its atomic symbol, while the products are written as their respective atomic symbols and atomic numbers.

3. What do the numbers and symbols in the notation mean?

The number to the left of the atomic symbol represents the mass number, which is the sum of the protons and neutrons in the atom's nucleus. The number to the bottom left of the symbol is the atomic number, which corresponds to the number of protons in the atom's nucleus. The symbol itself represents the element's name or symbol, such as H for hydrogen or Ca for calcium.

4. How does this notation reveal information about the decay process?

The notation for a decay reaction reveals several pieces of information about the decay process, including the type of decay (alpha, beta, gamma), the identity of the reactant and product atoms, and the energy released during the reaction. By analyzing the notation, scientists can determine the type and properties of the atoms involved in the decay reaction.

5. Can this notation be used to predict the products of a decay reaction?

Yes, the notation for a decay reaction can be used to predict the products of the reaction. By understanding the type of decay and the identity of the reactant atom, scientists can determine the type and properties of the product atoms, as well as the amount of energy released during the reaction.