Nuclear Reactions: Why Deuterium Can't Undergo Beta Decay

In summary, deuterium cannot undergo beta decay because when it does, it either produces an unstable nucleus or a nucleus with no protons, which would cause the atom to fall apart. On the other hand, tritium can undergo beta decay and produce a stable nucleus because it has a neutron to help keep the atom stable. This is due to the difference in atomic structure between deuterium and tritium.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Explain why deuterium cannot undergo ##\beta## decay or produce a stable nucleus while tritium can.

Homework Equations

Deuterium : ##{^2_1}{H}##
Tritium : ##{^3_1}{H}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Observe the negative ##\beta## decay of deuterium :
$${^2_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^-}{\rightarrow} {^2_2}{He} + {^0_{-1}}{e}$$

The positive ##\beta## decay of deuterium :
$${^2_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^+}{\rightarrow} {^2_0}{He} + {^0_{1}}{e}$$

The negative ##\beta## decay of tritium :
$${^3_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^-}{\rightarrow} {^3_2}{Li} + {^0_{-1}}{e}$$

The positive ##\beta## decay of tritium :
$${^3_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^+}{\rightarrow} {^3_0}{Li} + {^0_{1}}{e}$$

When deuterium undergoes ##\beta## decay, it either produces an unstable nucleus or a nucleus with no protons. With no protons, there would be nothing holding the atom together so the whole thing would fall apart.

Tritium seems to be able to undergo a stable ##\beta^-## decay and produce a stable nucleus. The positive decay of tritium destroys the nucleus entirely.

Is this reasoning okay? The question is a bit vague.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're confused on your atomic reactions. Lithium does not have 2 protons, it has 3. Helium has 2 protons. If a reaction results in the loss of all protons from the nucleus, then show only the resulting atomic particles on the RHS. Don't make up nuclei that don't exist.

SteamKing said:
You're confused on your atomic reactions. Lithium does not have 2 protons, it has 3. Helium has 2 protons. If a reaction results in the loss of all protons from the nucleus, then show only the resulting atomic particles on the RHS. Don't make up nuclei that don't exist.

I mixed my numbers up a bit there. So both of the negative beta decays will cause helium to be formed.

The positive beta decays destroy the nuclei in both cases, so all that would be left in both cases would be the electron.

Zondrina said:
I mixed my numbers up a bit there. So both of the negative beta decays will cause helium to be formed.

The positive beta decays destroy the nuclei in both cases, so all that would be left in both cases would be the electron.

In the positron decays, the nuclei aren't annihilated, but they do leave some atomic remnants behind in addition to the electrons. Your reactions must show a balance in the total atomic mass units on both sides of the equation.

So these two are okay :

The negative ##\beta## decay of deuterium :

$${^3_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^-}{\rightarrow} {^3_2}{Li} + {^0_{-1}}{e}$$

These two should be like so now :

$${^2_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^+}{\rightarrow} {^2_0}{n} + {^0_{1}}{e}$$

$${^3_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^+}{\rightarrow} {^3_0}{n} + {^0_{1}}{e}$$

Where I use ##n## to denote a neutron. I'm not quite seeing why deuterium is unstable compared to tritium?

Last edited:
You're still having problems with the atomic notation. The lower number reflects the number of protons (also called the atomic number Z) in the particle or nucleus. The upper number reflects the total number of atomic mass units (amu) in the particle or nucleus.

A neutron has zero protons and has a mass of 1 amu (more or less); therefore it is denoted by

01n (pardon the offset scripts)

If you have more than one neutron, then you show this by adding a normal prefix (just like for atoms in a chemical equation). Thus, 3 neutrons are shown:

3 01n

Often times, for clarity and ease of writing, common atomic particles are written thus:

p - proton
n - neutron
e - electron
e+ - positron
α - alpha particle (helium-4 nucleus)
β - beta particle (electron emitted from the nucleus)
[itex]\gamma[/itex] - gamma ray

This worksheet explains basic atomic notation:
http://web.gccaz.edu/~ldiebolt/130ll/nuclearchem.pdf

Again, you are showing lithium having an atomic number of 2 when it has an atomic number of 3.
Your reaction showing tritium decaying into lithium is incorrect. If anything, tritium is going to decay into Helium-3.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
You're still having problems with the atomic notation. The lower number reflects the number of protons (also called the atomic number Z) in the particle or nucleus. The upper number reflects the total number of atomic mass units (amu) in the particle or nucleus.

A neutron has zero protons and has a mass of 1 amu (more or less); therefore it is denoted by

01n (pardon the offset scripts)

If you have more than one neutron, then you show this by adding a normal prefix (just like for atoms in a chemical equation). Thus, 3 neutrons are shown:

3 01n

Often times, for clarity and ease of writing, common atomic particles are written thus:

p - proton
n - neutron
e - electron
e+ - positron
α - alpha particle (helium-4 nucleus)
β - beta particle (electron emitted from the nucleus)
[itex]\gamma[/itex] - gamma ray

This worksheet explains basic atomic notation:
http://web.gccaz.edu/~ldiebolt/130ll/nuclearchem.pdf

Again, you are showing lithium having an atomic number of 2 when it has an atomic number of 3.
Your reaction showing tritium decaying into lithium is incorrect. If anything, tritium is going to decay into Helium-3.

That article was a bit more clear than what I was reading for sure, thanks for finding it.

I copied my first post and I accidentally didn't change the Li to He. Totally missed that. Here's the fixed reactions :

The ##\beta^-## decays :

The negative ##\beta## decay of deuterium :

$${^3_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^-}{\rightarrow} {^3_2}{He} + {^0_{-1}}{e}$$

I think I see it now. The deuterium decays and will have zero neutrons, one negatively charged electron and two protons. Without any neutrons the reaction is completely unstable.

The tritium at least has a neutron floating around to keep things more stable than in the deuterium reaction.

The ##\beta^+## decays :

$${^2_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^+}{\rightarrow} 2{^1_0}{n} + {^0_{1}}{e}$$

$${^3_1}{H} \stackrel{\beta^+}{\rightarrow} 3{^1_0}{n} + {^0_{1}}{e}$$

Neither of these appear stable at all? I guess I should only be concerned with the ##\beta^-## decays.

Last edited:

What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in the formation of a new element or a different isotope of the same element.

What is deuterium?

Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen with one proton and one neutron in its nucleus. It is commonly represented as 2H or D.

What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle (an electron or a positron) to become more stable.

Why can't deuterium undergo beta decay?

Deuterium, being an isotope of hydrogen, has only one proton in its nucleus. In order to undergo beta decay, an atom must have more than one proton. Therefore, deuterium is not capable of undergoing beta decay.

What are the implications of deuterium not being able to undergo beta decay?

The fact that deuterium cannot undergo beta decay has significant implications in nuclear fusion reactions. Deuterium is often used as a fuel in fusion reactions, and its inability to undergo beta decay contributes to the stability of the reaction. Additionally, this characteristic of deuterium also plays a role in the formation of heavy elements in stars and supernovas.