Decay process scheme of 57-Cobalt

In summary: CO_b.htmlIn summary, the decay process scheme of 57-Cobalt involves electron capture and several possible gamma ray decays. The relationship and probabilities of all the emitted gammas can be found at the provided URLs. The 14.4 KeV excited state of Fe-57 plays a significant role in demonstrating the Mossbauer Effect and in carrying out experiments in general relativity. The logft value and the relationship between beta-decays and fission yields can be explored through these resources as well.
Rajini
Hello everyone,
i need complete information on the decay process scheme of 57-Cobalt including the transition of energy in each level with probability (especially the transition from 136 to ground state of 57-Fe--i need to know all the complete process with probability)...After referring to some papers with different terminology..i am completely confused..
thanks for your reply.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Rajini-
The second URL astronuc referred you to is especially useful, because it shows the relationship of all the emitted gammas. Of special importance in the lower right corner is the 14.4 KeV excited state of Fe-57 with a 98 ns lifetime. The natural linewidth of this gamma is extremely narrow (calculate δE δt), and decays to the ground state of Fe-57. It has played a very imporant role in demonstrating the Mossbauer Effect, and in carrying out certain experiments in general relativity.
Bob S

Hi..
extremely helpful..That is what i was searching for..
Rajini

Hello again..
what is logft?

mathman said:

I love this resource. :!) And nndc too...

Time ago I used them to count the number of known beta-decays for each atomic number. I was surprised to notice that it has more or less the same shape that fission yields, and I was left wondering if it was cause or effect: either the uranium was to decay following this shape because of the huge availability of levels, or we humans know more levels in the areas where uranium decays, just because of experimental availability.

Hi a few cents..
This site is more informative..with all gamma and internal conversion probabilities..
http://www.nucleide.org/

What is the decay process scheme of 57-Cobalt?

The decay process scheme of 57-Cobalt involves the emission of a beta particle and a gamma ray. This results in the formation of a stable isotope, 57-Iron, through the process of beta decay.

What is the half-life of 57-Cobalt?

The half-life of 57-Cobalt is 271.74 days. This means that after 271.74 days, half of the original amount of 57-Cobalt will have decayed into 57-Iron.

How is 57-Cobalt used in medical imaging?

57-Cobalt is used in medical imaging as a radioactive tracer. It is injected into the body and its decay process can be detected by a gamma camera, allowing for the visualization of certain organs and tissues.

What other applications does 57-Cobalt have?

57-Cobalt is also used in industrial radiography to detect flaws and cracks in materials. It is also used in cancer treatment, as the high energy gamma rays it emits can be targeted at cancer cells to destroy them.

Is 57-Cobalt considered a safe or dangerous isotope?

57-Cobalt is considered a relatively safe isotope, as its beta and gamma radiation can be easily shielded. However, exposure to large amounts of 57-Cobalt can still be harmful to human health, and proper safety measures should always be taken when handling it.