1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deceleration parameter and critical densities

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using Friedmann equations find the parameter of deceleration [itex]q_0[/itex] using relative densities [itex]\Omega_M,\ \Omega_R,\ \Omega_\Lambda[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Friedmann equations, deceleration parameter:

[itex]q_0=-\frac{\ddot{a_0}a_0}{\dot{a_0}^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So from second Friedmann equation (the one with k parameter which tells us whether the Universe is open, flat or close) and got to this point:

[tex]\left(\frac{\dot{a}}{\dot{a_0}}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{a_0}{a}\right)^2\Omega_R+\left(\frac{a_0}{a}\right)\Omega_M+\Omega_K+\left(\frac{a}{a_0}\right)^2\Omega_\Lambda[/tex]

a is the scale factor (sometimes denoted as R in the books).

And I'm stuck. The book here

equation (11.55)

Says that I should get

[itex]q=\frac{\Omega_M}{2}+\Omega_R-\Omega_\Lambda[/itex]

I tried using first Friedmann equation, but then my equation depends on parameter w, which connects pressure and density: [itex]p=w\rho[/itex], and I don't get correct answer :\

I found one presentation which says that I should somehow (no explanation, of course -.-") connect the equation I got with the deceleration parameter using: "a bit of math".

I tried connecting the second derivative of the scale factor in the definition of deceleration parameter, so that I don't need to use the equation which has w in it, but I really have no idea what to do.

Any help would be appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From this, I get the correct result.

What do you get when you differentiate with respect to time the equation in "The Attempt at a solution"?

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    You mean I should differentiate the expression with omegas? But that would give me really complicated expression on the right, wouldn't it?

[itex]\frac{2 \dot{a}
    \ddot{a}}{\dot{a_0}^2}-\frac
    {2 \dot{a}^2
    \ddot{a_0}}{\dot{a_0}^3}[/itex]

Hmmm...

If the a_0 is scale factor at the present time, than it's constant, no? That means that it doesn't depend on time, and I just derive the numerator, right? And if, after that I put that I am looking at t=t_0 than I get deceleration parameter.

Am I going in the right direction?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  5. May 25, 2012 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When differentiating, [itex]\dot{a}_0 = \dot{a} \left( t_0 \right)[/itex] and [itex]a_0 = a \left( t_0 \right)[/itex] are constants.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. May 25, 2012 #5
    Oh that simplifies things :D Thanks, I dk why I thought it depended on time :\

7. May 26, 2012 #6
    So when I do the derivation and when I simplify things a bit, I need to presume that I'm looking at the t=t_0, so that my scale factors would all cancel out, right?

8. May 26, 2012 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

9. May 27, 2012 #8
    I got the correct answer :) Thanks for all the help ^^ thumbs up :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook