1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding between schools: advice

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    As the question suggests, I am deciding between uva, rit, stony brook, Indiana u, purdue, umass Amherst, and George mason. Sort of a random list, I know. I am going to be a transfer physic major. Hoping to get into research and apply to grad school (I am coming from a community college so I have catching up to do).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is quite the disparate list!

These are all state schools (more or less), so if money is an issue, you should think about the schools in your home state. If you pay out of state tuition, the cost will often rival the cost of a private school.

Of all of the schools, George Mason is probably the weakest program in the sciences.

Other than GMU, these are all very large flagship campuses of state university systems. You should have good opportunities for doing research, but you need to be aggressive to get these opportunities. You should also look into applying to REU programs for summer research. It is too late this year, but certainly next year. The REU sites usually have deadlines for application early in the calendar year.

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) is a private institution.

5. Mar 28, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed it is.:oops:

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    I've actually looked into Reus and was accepted into a summer internship at Fermilab. So hopefully this will help me get on my way.

7. Mar 29, 2015 #6
    I am leaning towards uva or one of the indiana schools. Money is certainly my main issue but I am pretty sure I will get a fair amount of aid. Is there a big difference between uva and a higher ranked physics school, say iu?

8. Mar 30, 2015 #7
    I don't think the ranking matters so much as long as you are able to do well and get good research experience, which it sounds like you are doing with I the Fermi REU.

For what it's worth, I'm at your typical large state school and have been admitted to some pretty swanky Ivies for grad school. I would suggest going with the cheapest route for undergrad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook