1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Deciding on my senior thesis project

1. Dec 14, 2017 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hey all,
    I'm trying to come up with a senior thesis project in the realm of GR. It doesn't have to be new, just new to me. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas (or knowing whether or not they would be good for this). One idea that I just came up with:
    Numerically solve EFE for the solar system, or a part of it, maybe the inner planets and sun, then compare with observations. Does this sound like a good project to you? If not, do you have any suggestions? I'm not attached to this idea, just trying to be constructive.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you ask your potential supervisor? It is very advisable to choose a project in the interest of the supervisor, and they will also know more what has been done and what not, and what can be done within the scope of the project. That typically means you ask your supervisor what they suggest.

4. Dec 15, 2017 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Yea I did. We don't really have anyone in the ways of GR, so it will be largely independent. However, the chair has told me that I could do it, should I find a suitable project. He told me essentially to find a paper published and reproduce it. So I suppose the question could be reworded to ask for papers published in GR that would be 1) feasible for an undergrad to reproduce (not necessarily easy, just feasible) and 2) enjoyable (I know it's subjective, but just not extremely droll).
    Thanks for the response, by the way.

5. Dec 15, 2017 #4

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Don't do that.
    While it might be possible in terms of formal procedures, it is unlikely to have good results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted