Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Install custom Latex package for senior thesis!

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    Hi guys! I need some Latex help, so I'll try to be a descriptive as I can,

I need to create a cover sheet for my senior thesis, and I'm trying to use the Latex format designed by my school, which uses a custom package called "ucscthesisbs" that I have to install in order to have the correct cover sheet format. I'm relatively new to Latex, and I'm finding this task impossible. I have a directory of various files I am assuming relate to the package. This directory is open to all and can be found here:

http://dave.ucsc.edu/physics195/BS_TexTemplate/

I downloaded all of these files onto my computer for good measure, they are all in the same directory as the one my thesis tex file is in.

I see that there is a file in the directory whose link I just posted called "how to format", which contains command lines I have surmised that I am supposed to enter into windows command prompt in order to install the package. I attempted this, but it goes wrong at the very beginning, as windows command spits back at me:
    ------------------
    This is pdfTex, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 <MikTex 2.9 64-bit>
    entering extended mode
    ! I can't find file 'ucscbstest'
    <*> ucscbstest

Please type another input file name:
    ------------------
    I tried just continuing with the commands I was given, but it did not work. I tried typing in the full file extension, hoping latex would find it, but it did not. So I'm kinda stuck, and in need of some help. How do I go about installing this package?

(I'm using TeXstudio, if that matters at all.)

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook