1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decision maker equation (comparing 3 variables)

1. Aug 11, 2016 #1
    I want to create an equation to make decision on the best product that i want to be the best for example:

I have this 4 products:
    - product1: lives 1 months, quality 70%, people rating 50%
    - product2: lives 2 months, quality 60%, people rating 60%
    - product3: lives 3 months, quality 50%, people rating 60%
    - product4: lives 10 months, quality 40%, people rating 40%

how can i make an equation so from this equation i can choose product3 as the best choose for customers?

i can't create a relation between these choose based on what in my view is the best

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Usually you will have an equation that could be optimized, i.e. how is your goal related to lifetime, quality and rating? Which are the weights of them in a solution you would call optimal?

4. Aug 11, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

You have to find some quantitative way to define "best decision", based on what is a good decision, not based on the products you have.

Starting with the conclusion "product 3 is best" sounds like manipulation. I don't think there is a linear relation that has this result, and if you can make arbitrary relations just say "3 months is best" and you are done...

5. Aug 12, 2016 #4

Dale

This is called multi objective optimization. Multi objective optimization does not return a single optimal value, it returns a set of Pareto optimal values. This set is already Pareto optimal.

Choosing between Pareto optimal values requires some trade-off between competing objectives. Weighted optimization tries to capture that trade off, but it is subjective.

If you believe that product 3 is the best then just explain why. Any mathematical formula would just be based on that explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted