1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decomposition of N2O5 Entropy Equilibrium

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    Please see attached picture.
    I need verification of my answers. I unfortunately found these problems on an old book with no answer. I would really appreciate it.

(a) Ok. For this one, I am really not sure. PLEASE help.
    I get a very complicated formula.

(1+x)(x^4)/(1-x)^2=Kp.

Now, this makes no sense because I am not able to solve more than quadratics. This book should represent problems I could see on exams where they do not expect me to do more than quadratics. What do I do?

(b) DG=DGnaught+RTln(Q)
    Q=Kp so DG=0.
    DGnaught=28058J
    DGnaught=DH-TDS.
    DS=258mol/K.

(c) Reaction is endothermic. Adding temperature will make reaction go forward more.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2
    Part (a) does not look like it was set up correctly. If x is the final pressure of the NO2, the final pressure of the O2 is 1+x/4, and the final pressure of the final pressure of the N2O5 is 1-x/2. I guess you have to assume that the container is operating at constant volume.

Assume that x is small compared to 1, and see what you get. If you feel that you need to get better accuracy, solve by successive substitutions.

Chet

4. Apr 8, 2014 #3
    Chet, I corrected the situation:
    I get a final x of 0.0147M. Please check my math.
    (1+x)((4x)^4)/(1-2x)^2=Kp

Thank you so much.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. Apr 8, 2014 #4
    I will post another problem on this thread. I do not want to overcrowd the forum with my "pollution."

6. Apr 8, 2014 #5
    Here is my attempt: calculate DGnaught using values (final - initial).
    Calculate Kp noting that DG=0. So -DGnaught=RTln(Kp).
    Use Clausius Clapeyron law to find new Kp at other temperature.

Kp 298K: 5.29x10^34
    Kp 345K: 8.61x10^29

Attached Files:

7. Apr 9, 2014 #6
    Your approach is correct. I haven't checked your arithmetic, or your use of units.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted