Decrease of Solar radius per year using Virial Theorem

In summary, if the sun's radius decreases by 3.839 * 1026 watts per year, then it can still maintain its energy production.
CharlesDamle
Homework Statement
Calculate the decrease in Solar radius per year using the Virial Theorem
Relevant Equations
L_G = -(1/2) * (GM^2/R^2) * (dR/dt)
Hello, I am trying to solve this question:

Assume that the Sun's energy production doesn't happen by fusion processes, but is caused by a slow compression and that the radiated energy can be described by the Virial Theorem: $$L_G = - \frac{1}{2} \frac{GM^2}{R^2} \frac{dR}{dt} $$
How much must the Sun's radius decrease per year in order to uphold its energy production?

I'm not quite sure what LG is, but I've tried inserting the gravitational term of the Virial Theorem, but that gives a decrease in solar radius of the entire Sun's radius per second... A hint would be amazing, if anyone knows what LG represents.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
If you replace each variable on the right with the units of the variable then reduce the result, the remaining units should give you a big clue as to what ##L_G## might be.

I know it's energy, if that's what you're hinting :D

CharlesDamle said:
I know it's energy, if that's what you're hinting :D
##L_G## is not energy. But, it's closely related to energy. What did you get for the overall units of the right-hand side of the expression for ##L_G##?

Ahh it is J / s right?

Likes gneill
CharlesDamle said:
Ahh it is J / s right?
Yes :oldsmile:

Right, so I want to solve for (dR/dt) to get the change over time, so I can't multiply by dt on both sides to get energy on the left hand side. Not quite sure what to do with LG

Do you know what ##L_G## stands for? The value of ##L_G## is easy to find with a web search. Or, maybe the value of ##L_G## was given in your course or textbook.

No, I have no idea. I looking for it in the Virial Theorem section, but without any luck. It hasn't been mentioned in the chapter we've been reading this week.

##L_G## is the rate at which rotational kinetic energy plus gravitational PE is lost as the radius of the sun contracts. You are considering a hypothetical model where this loss of energy is converted into the energy radiated by the sun. So, you want ##L_G## to match the rate at which energy is radiated by the sun. The rate at which the sun radiates energy is called the sun's luminosity. So you will need to look up the luminosity of the sun.

Last edited:
Ahh, okay we always write it with other symbols. I have no idea why they changed it, but naturally I know what luminosity is.. :woot: Alright, so I set it equal LG = 3.839 * 1026 W and solve for(dR/dt)?
Thank you so much for explaining this!

Likes gneill
CharlesDamle said:
Ahh, okay we always write it with other symbols. I have no idea why they changed it, but naturally I know what luminosity is.. :woot: Alright, so I set it equal LG = 3.839 * 1026 W and solve for(dR/dt)?
Thank you so much for explaining this!
Good. This is an interesting calculation.

Likes CharlesDamle

1. How is the decrease of solar radius per year calculated using the Virial Theorem?

The decrease of solar radius per year is calculated by using the Virial Theorem, which is a mathematical equation that relates the kinetic energy and potential energy of a system. In this case, the system is the Sun, and the decrease in solar radius is calculated by equating the gravitational potential energy of the Sun to its kinetic energy.

2. What factors influence the decrease of solar radius per year?

The decrease of solar radius per year is influenced by several factors, such as the mass of the Sun, its internal temperature and pressure, and the rate of nuclear fusion reactions happening in its core. These factors affect the balance between the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of the Sun, leading to a change in its radius over time.

3. How accurate is the calculation of the decrease of solar radius per year using the Virial Theorem?

The calculation of the decrease of solar radius per year using the Virial Theorem is considered to be quite accurate. However, it is important to note that there are other factors that can also contribute to the change in solar radius, such as solar flares and magnetic activity. Therefore, the calculated value may not be exact but provides a good estimate.

4. Can the decrease of solar radius per year be observed or measured?

Yes, the decrease of solar radius per year can be observed and measured through various methods, such as using telescopes and satellites. By tracking the position and size of the Sun over time, scientists can determine the change in its radius and compare it to the calculated value using the Virial Theorem.

5. Is the decrease of solar radius per year a cause for concern?

No, the decrease of solar radius per year is a natural process that occurs due to the balance between the Sun's gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. It is not a cause for concern as it happens gradually over a long period of time and does not significantly impact the overall functioning of the Sun or its effects on Earth.