Deduction of the equation of frequencies of a piano

In summary: So in summary, the function f(n) presented on this page is the solution of a differential equation, and the tuning of a piano is done by applying Keyboard Stretch.
Bruno Tolentino
I'd like of know from where originated the funcion f(n) presented in this page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies)!?

Probably, f(n), is the solution of some differential equation and I'd like of understand how this diff equation was architected.

If someone can answer this doubt I will be so much happy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no differential equation. This is just equal tempement - you have twelve equal steps every octave, and each octave doubles the frequency.

Likes Bruno Tolentino
Unless it's on a piano. The region known as the temperament is tuned in a logical manner, but from then on, the tuner applies a bizarrely difficult series of modifications to obviate discordant resonances. This is known as 'Keyboard Stretch'. For example, A 440 could still be near to 440, but by the time one had reached 1760, it could be as high as 1765! I have no idea how this seems to gel with the rest of the orchestra.

I once spent a year or so developing an electronic tuner - one which resonated the string continuously while tuning or analysis of case resonance was undertaken. The head of electronics at Essex University UK thought the chip was made by Fairchild and had gone the same route while a graduate student. The chip wasn't totally accurate, but human ability to sense frequency it seems is limited to about 6 cents so it was better than a lot of tuners.

Despite months of trying, I was never able to master the skill of a classical tuning.

I later caused the main oscillator to be allowed to swing 100 cents either side of the main frequency. (100 cents is a half tone) This allowed sustained investigation into unwanted resonances. There was a well known case of a plastic chocolate box in a cupboard causing tuners much grief.

The whole idea of my machine was to tune concert grands in a noisy environment but I concluded it was not a viable investment. A while later a tuner turned up at my home in Texas and the subject of electronic aids came up. He then demonstrated a tuner which he used 'When tired.' After tuning the temperament, he let the device run and it then produced the stretch for that particular piano. My device would have been totally out-classed.

An App for my phone now produces a frequency counter and generator that's more accurate. And it was free.

1. What is the equation of frequencies of a piano?

The equation of frequencies of a piano is a mathematical formula that calculates the frequency of each note on a piano. It is expressed as f = 2^(n/12) * 440, where n represents the number of half steps from A4 and 440 is the standard tuning frequency for A4.

2. How is the equation of frequencies of a piano derived?

The equation of frequencies of a piano is derived from the principles of music theory and the relationship between frequency and pitch. It takes into account the logarithmic nature of the musical scale and the standard tuning frequency for A4 to calculate the frequency of each note on a piano.

3. What does the equation of frequencies of a piano tell us?

The equation of frequencies of a piano tells us the exact frequency of each note on a piano, which is measured in Hertz (Hz). This information is useful for tuning a piano, understanding the relationship between different notes, and analyzing the sounds produced by a piano.

4. Can the equation of frequencies of a piano be applied to other musical instruments?

Yes, the equation of frequencies of a piano can be applied to other musical instruments that use the same 12-tone Western musical scale, such as a guitar, violin, or flute. However, the standard tuning frequency for A4 may vary for different instruments, so the equation may need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. How does the equation of frequencies of a piano relate to the physics of sound?

The equation of frequencies of a piano is directly related to the physics of sound and the properties of waves. It demonstrates how the frequency of a sound wave affects the perceived pitch of a note. The equation also takes into account the principles of harmonics and overtones, which play a crucial role in the timbre and quality of the sound produced by a piano.