Tuning fork frequency equation

In summary, the frequency equation for a tuning fork is derived from the equation of a cantilevered beam. Both equations involve density per unit length and length, but the tuning fork equation has an additional factor of 1/2π. This is because the tuning fork is a mass-spring system, while the cantilevered beam is a pure bending system. The μ in the tuning fork equation represents mass per unit length, while I represents the second moment of area of the beam's cross-section.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was trying to see how the frequency equation for a tuning fork is derived. It looks like it's based on the equation of cantilevered beam. In other words, I'd say that historically the equation for a tuning fork was derived somewhat in a similar fashion as was done for a cantilevered beam. Please compare the following two.

Number 1:
1590364208386.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuning_fork#Calculation_of_frequency

Where ρA is density per unit length and can be denoted as μ, "l" is length, and 1.875²= 3. 5156.

Number 2:
1590364039649.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Bernoulli_beam_theory#Example:_Cantilevered_beam

The only difference is that "Number 1" has factor of "1/2π" but "Number 2" doesn't have it. What is the reason for it? Could you please me with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
f = ω/2π ? Although, I haven't studied this and I have no idea what μ is.

Likes PainterGuy and hutchphd
DaveE said:
f = ω/2π ? Although, I haven't studied this and I have no idea what μ is.

Sorry! :( It was quite obvious. I wish I could delete this thread.

LOL, you're not the only guy that ever missed by 2π.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is the tuning fork frequency equation?

The tuning fork frequency equation is a mathematical formula that relates the frequency of a tuning fork to its physical properties, such as its length and mass. It is given by the equation f = (1/2π) * √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the stiffness constant, and m is the mass of the tuning fork.

2. How is the tuning fork frequency equation derived?

The tuning fork frequency equation is derived from the harmonic oscillator equation, which describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring. By applying the equation to a tuning fork, which can be modeled as a mass-spring system, we can derive the tuning fork frequency equation.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork is affected by its physical properties, such as its length and mass, as well as the stiffness of the material it is made of. The temperature and surrounding environment can also have an impact on the frequency of a tuning fork.

4. Can the tuning fork frequency equation be used for all types of tuning forks?

Yes, the tuning fork frequency equation can be used for all types of tuning forks, as long as they can be modeled as a mass-spring system. This includes both simple and compound tuning forks.

5. How is the tuning fork frequency equation useful in scientific research?

The tuning fork frequency equation is useful in scientific research as it allows scientists to accurately predict the frequency of a tuning fork based on its physical properties. This is important in various fields, such as acoustics and materials science, where tuning forks are used for measurements and experiments.