1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    Is it safe to enter the defense industry after I graduate in May 2009 with a BSEE?

I already have accepted a job with a major defense company in California. They do work mostly on radar/sonar/surveillance/missile defense.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Safe? In what way?
  4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    They're not going to send people to hunt you down and kill you! Well, probably not, anyway... :smile:

I hesitate to say *any* job is safe right now, but this is probably as safe as it gets. The government wants to spend more than usual right now since we're in recession, so I doubt if there will be any short-term defense cutbacks.
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4
    The defense industry is always risky since most of the money comes from government funding which varies year to year. It may be difficult to get a job with good job security unless you manage to get a federal position.
  6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    Another good thing about defense right now is that there are a lot of people of retirement age. That should take up some of the lay off slack that is coming.
  7. Nov 16, 2008 #6
    but remember theres ton of layoffs from other engineering companies right now. The economy is doing bad, so there will be tons of competition for those jobs
  8. Nov 24, 2008 #7
    Well, I've already been accepted and signed an offer with the company.
  9. Nov 24, 2008 #8
    Good. You'll enjoy aerospace. It is fun.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?