Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed

In summary, the conversation is discussing the safety and job security of entering the defense industry after graduating with a BSEE in May 2009. The person speaking has accepted a job with a major defense company in California, but the safety and stability of the industry is still uncertain. While the government is currently spending more on defense due to the recession, the industry is still considered risky due to fluctuations in government funding. However, there is potential for job stability due to many employees reaching retirement age. The conversation also mentions the current state of the economy and the potential competition for engineering jobs.
HD555
Is it safe to enter the defense industry after I graduate in May 2009 with a BSEE?

I already have accepted a job with a major defense company in California. They do work mostly on radar/sonar/surveillance/missile defense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Safe? In what way?

They're not going to send people to hunt you down and kill you! Well, probably not, anyway... :smile:

I hesitate to say *any* job is safe right now, but this is probably as safe as it gets. The government wants to spend more than usual right now since we're in recession, so I doubt if there will be any short-term defense cutbacks.

The defense industry is always risky since most of the money comes from government funding which varies year to year. It may be difficult to get a job with good job security unless you manage to get a federal position.

Another good thing about defense right now is that there are a lot of people of retirement age. That should take up some of the lay off slack that is coming.

but remember there's ton of layoffs from other engineering companies right now. The economy is doing bad, so there will be tons of competition for those jobs

RasslinGod said:
but remember there's ton of layoffs from other engineering companies right now. The economy is doing bad, so there will be tons of competition for those jobs

Well, I've already been accepted and signed an offer with the company.

HD555 said:
Well, I've already been accepted and signed an offer with the company.

Good. You'll enjoy aerospace. It is fun.

1. What is the purpose of the Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed?

The Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed is a set of guidelines and regulations set by the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) to ensure the safety and environmental protection of offshore oil and gas operations in the United States. The purpose of these guidelines is to minimize the risk of accidents and environmental damage in the defense industry.

2. Who is responsible for enforcing these guidelines?

The BSEE is responsible for enforcing the Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed. They monitor compliance with the guidelines through regular inspections and audits, and can take enforcement actions if necessary to ensure adherence to the regulations.

3. What type of operations does the Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed cover?

The guidelines cover all offshore oil and gas operations in the United States, including exploration, drilling, production, and decommissioning activities. This includes both fixed and floating platforms, pipelines, and other facilities used in the defense industry.

4. How often are the guidelines updated?

The Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed is regularly reviewed and updated to reflect changes in technology, industry best practices, and new regulations. The BSEE conducts a comprehensive review of the guidelines every five years to ensure they remain effective and up-to-date.

5. What should companies in the defense industry do to comply with these guidelines?

Companies in the defense industry should familiarize themselves with the Defense Industry - BSEE - Guidance Needed and ensure that their operations are in compliance with the guidelines. This may involve implementing new safety and environmental protection measures, conducting regular inspections and audits, and providing training for employees on the regulations and best practices.