EE to AE Grad Studies; Aerospace/Defense Industry

In summary: I'm not familiar with it. I can say that an MS in AE is a great way to start in the defense industry. There are a lot of opportunities for people with an AE degree, and you can always specialize later if you want. There are also a lot of opportunities to work in the aerospace and defense industries after you finish your MS.
sloan13
I am currently an electrical engineering student, and I was wondering if it was possible to get a master's degree in AE if you have a BS or MS in EE. I know I at least want a master's in EE. I would like to work in the aerospace and defense industries. Are there many EE opportunities in this area.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is possible to get a master's degree in AE with a BS in EE. some of my fellow new hires at a defense company are working towards AE degrees, and 2 of them have EE backgrounds.

Likes 1 person
donpacino said:
Yes it is possible to get a master's degree in AE with a BS in EE. some of my fellow new hires at a defense company are working towards AE degrees, and 2 of them have EE backgrounds.

For working in defense, would it be better to get a MS in AE, ME, physics, or a combination of these?

As donpacion pointed out, it isn't a big deal to get a grad degree in a different field. I have a BS in Math and a BS in Finance. I started my grad education in a MS in Pure Math, realized I preferred applied math, realized applied math programs are a lot of pure math with a just flavor of applied on the side, and then just said screw this and transferred to a MS in Mech E where I take more applied math, physics, EE, CS, and ME courses than in applied. I don't have an undergraduate understanding in Engineering, but I still have a 3.7 GPA in Mech E so it is doable without the the undergrad knowledge in the field.

Likes 1 person
Dustinsfl said:
As donpacion pointed out, it isn't a big deal to get a grad degree in a different field. I have a BS in Math and a BS in Finance. I started my grad education in a MS in Pure Math, realized I preferred applied math, realized applied math programs are a lot of pure math with a just flavor of applied on the side, and then just said screw this and transferred to a MS in Mech E where I take more applied math, physics, EE, CS, and ME courses than in applied. I don't have an undergraduate understanding in Engineering, but I still have a 3.7 GPA in Mech E so it is doable without the the undergrad knowledge in the field.

For switching to a different program, was there prerequisites you needed to take before being accepted? If so, how much longer would it take?

sloan13 said:
For switching to a different program, was there prerequisites you needed to take before being accepted? If so, how much longer would it take?

At first, they said I may need to take pre-reqs but that never materialized. I asked about it they said you are fine. The only pre-reqs would have been undergrad courses anyways. At that point though, I already passed and completed the core requirements. I had no engineering background just a math background and did fine. With an engineering background, you should be good to go since you have taken engineering core. I know at my university, the core engineering pre-reqs are similar for EE, ME, CE, etc.

Likes 1 person
sloan13 said:
For working in defense, would it be better to get a MS in AE, ME, physics, or a combination of these?

That depends on what you want to do. I would say an ME degree is more marketable in general. if you really want to do aerospace engineering then either degree would work.

I really can't comment on the physics degree

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between EE and AE in terms of graduate studies?

EE (Electrical Engineering) focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while AE (Aerospace Engineering) is concerned with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. What are some common career paths in the Aerospace/Defense industry for EE and AE graduates?

EE graduates can work in areas such as avionics, control systems, and electronic systems design for aircraft and spacecraft. AE graduates can work in areas such as aircraft or spacecraft design, propulsion systems, and flight testing.

3. Are there any specific skills or courses that are beneficial for EE or AE students interested in the Aerospace/Defense industry?

Some beneficial skills and courses for EE students could include circuit design, signal processing, and control systems. For AE students, courses in aerodynamics, structures, and materials would be beneficial.

4. How important is research experience for graduate studies in EE or AE for the Aerospace/Defense industry?

Research experience is highly valued in both EE and AE graduate studies for the Aerospace/Defense industry. It demonstrates a strong understanding of the field and the ability to conduct independent research, which is essential for advanced positions in the industry.

5. Are there any specific software or programming skills that are useful for EE or AE students in the Aerospace/Defense industry?

Proficiency in software such as MATLAB, Simulink, and LabVIEW is valuable for both EE and AE students in the Aerospace/Defense industry. Knowledge of programming languages such as C++, Python, and Java can also be beneficial for certain roles in the industry.