1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE to AE Grad Studies; Aerospace/Defense Industry

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    I am currently an electrical engineering student, and I was wondering if it was possible to get a master's degree in AE if you have a BS or MS in EE. I know I at least want a master's in EE. I would like to work in the aerospace and defense industries. Are there many EE opportunities in this area.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

Yes it is possible to get a master's degree in AE with a BS in EE. some of my fellow new hires at a defense company are working towards AE degrees, and 2 of them have EE backgrounds.

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3
    For working in defense, would it be better to get a MS in AE, ME, physics, or a combination of these?

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4
    As donpacion pointed out, it isn't a big deal to get a grad degree in a different field. I have a BS in Math and a BS in Finance. I started my grad education in a MS in Pure Math, realized I preferred applied math, realized applied math programs are a lot of pure math with a just flavor of applied on the side, and then just said screw this and transferred to a MS in Mech E where I take more applied math, physics, EE, CS, and ME courses than in applied. I don't have an undergraduate understanding in Engineering, but I still have a 3.7 GPA in Mech E so it is doable without the the undergrad knowledge in the field.

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5
    For switching to a different program, was there prerequisites you needed to take before being accepted? If so, how much longer would it take?

7. Mar 13, 2014 #6
    At first, they said I may need to take pre-reqs but that never materialized. I asked about it they said you are fine. The only pre-reqs would have been undergrad courses anyways. At that point though, I already passed and completed the core requirements. I had no engineering background just a math background and did fine. With an engineering background, you should be good to go since you have taken engineering core. I know at my university, the core engineering pre-reqs are similar for EE, ME, CE, etc.

8. Mar 17, 2014 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

That depends on what you want to do. I would say an ME degree is more marketable in general. if you really want to do aerospace engineering then either degree would work.

I really can't comment on the physics degree

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook