Pure Mathematicians in defense industry

In summary, there is a need for mathematicians in the defense industry, but it is a difficult sell. Pure math PhDs will have an easier time finding work in the contractor world.
JG89
Is there a need for pure mathematicians in the defense industry? I've tried looking online and one of the main requirements is that the person be knowledgeable about mathematics and physics, but this could be talking about mathematicians, physicists, or engineers.

P.S. I don't mean to sound rude, but please spare me any political and moral opinions that you may want to offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
We use a lot of mathematicians in software. I would encourage you to apply. It is fun work.

Pure mathematicians or applied mathematicians?

Also, I was planning on getting my phD in pure math. For career options it's between a mathematician doing research, or working in the defense industry, but either way I want the phD in pure math. Is this a problem?

Presumably you're aware that no one will hire you to do pure math in the defense industry. There are some places that will actively look for math PhDs, though, with NSA probably the most prominent. The studies and analysis FFRDCs (RAND, CNA, IDA) also recruit many science/math/engineering PhDs, though not to do work that's anything like academic math.

In the contractor world it's a tougher sell, for obvious reasons. One would probably be best off looking to smaller contracters that have a high proportion of physics and math types to begin with, rather than a big place (Raytheon, Boeing, etc.) that is looking more for specific skills to stick on a project.

JDGates said:
Presumably you're aware that no one will hire you to do pure math in the defense industry. There are some places that will actively look for math PhDs, though, with NSA probably the most prominent. The studies and analysis FFRDCs (RAND, CNA, IDA) also recruit many science/math/engineering PhDs, though not to do work that's anything like academic math.

In the contractor world it's a tougher sell, for obvious reasons. One would probably be best off looking to smaller contracters that have a high proportion of physics and math types to begin with, rather than a big place (Raytheon, Boeing, etc.) that is looking more for specific skills to stick on a project.

There is a lot of math work to be done in defense. It is of course all applied, but pure math is a good preparation for applied work me thinks.

1. What is the role of pure mathematicians in the defense industry?

Pure mathematicians play a crucial role in the defense industry by using their expertise in abstract mathematical concepts to solve complex problems and develop advanced technologies for defense applications.

2. What skills do pure mathematicians bring to the defense industry?

Pure mathematicians possess a strong foundation in mathematical theory and problem-solving skills that are essential for developing and analyzing complex algorithms, creating encryption methods, and designing sophisticated systems for military use.

3. How do pure mathematicians contribute to national security?

Pure mathematicians contribute to national security by developing and analyzing advanced encryption methods that protect sensitive information and by designing systems that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of military operations.

4. What are some examples of pure mathematicians' contributions to the defense industry?

Some examples of pure mathematicians' contributions to the defense industry include developing algorithms for secure communication, creating models for predicting and preventing cyber attacks, and designing systems for optimizing military logistics and decision-making.

5. What is the career outlook for pure mathematicians in the defense industry?

The career outlook for pure mathematicians in the defense industry is strong, as the demand for their specialized skills and expertise continues to grow with advancements in technology and the increasing importance of cybersecurity in national defense.