Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defination of eFz in Hamiltonian

1. May 14, 2006 #1
    defination of "eFz" in Hamiltonian

I want to know the defination of "eFz" in Hamiltonian for the electron and LO-phonon interaction in electric field, does "z" show the position of the electron?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. May 15, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is such an ill-defined post!

Please EXPLAIN and put some effort into describing your question in detail. In many text and papers, often "F" is defined as the electric field (don't believe me, look at the Fowler-Nordheim paper, and most text that discuss this). So I can easily interpret "eFz" as the potential energy. But this does not tell me anything about how you have oriented "z" (along the chain?).

If you wish someone to put effort and time into responding and doing you a favor, the least you could do is describe the problem as complete as you can.

5. May 15, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To stress a point made above, this post relies entirely on the reader knowing exactly what the poster has in mind. Many people may be able to help if you provided a reference and/or a more complete description of the system.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I know what you are refering to, but I can't be certain. At this point I second Zz's interpretation. F is a field, and z is a position.

More than that from us will likely be speculation unless you provide a fuller description of the system.
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  6. May 16, 2006 #5
    Here, F is the electric field strength, and e is a charge. I want to know that the z is the position of the electron or the eledtric field?
  7. May 16, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Take note that F is actually F(z). So this is already the electric field strength at z. Now put a charge e there. What is the potential energy of charge e, at location z, due to the external electric field F(z)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?