Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Define boundary conditions of a polygon in a unit square cell

1. Aug 24, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am wondering as to how to define the boundary condition for a shape in a unit cell. Just imagine that the shape is the hole for the unit cell. Hence, for a constant thickness on the untextured boundary, thickness is, lets say C, then for the circle, it's C+depth.

For example for a unit cell with width 2r1 by 2r1 with a circle inside the unit cell, the boundary condition is:

h(x,y) = C+depth, if x^2+y^2<r^2, and
    h(x,y) = C, if x^2+y^2>r^2.

I am wondering how to do this with complicated polygons, like hexagon and stuff or if there is a formula or principle that i dont know of.

Thank you heaps.

Attached Files:

• hex.jpg
      hex.jpg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2014 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Each of the sides of a polygon is definable by a simple linear equation in x and y. The interior of a convex polygon is the intersection of the half-planes defined by the corresponding inequalities.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. Aug 24, 2014 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

For convex polygons, the most economic way would probably be to restrict the boundary conditions to particular angles. For more complex polygons, a piecewise defined curve is probably the best way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted