Limit of y/(1-x) as x approaches 1 in a triangular region

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter daudaudaudau
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Triangle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
daudaudaudau
Messages
297
Reaction score
0
If I define a triangle like this

[tex]0\le y\le 1[/tex] and [tex]0\le x\le 1-y[/tex],

then what is

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} \frac{y}{1-x}[/tex] ?

As far as I can see, there are many possibilities, depending on how you "approach" [tex]x=1[/tex].
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are writing doesn't make sense. Since you are taking the limit only as x goes to 1, y is some fixed number between 0 and 1. If [itex]x\le 1-y[/itex] and y is not 1 then x cannot "approach" 1. If y= 1, then, of course, the limit does not exist.
 
Hmm, yeah, maybe it does not make much sense. Fortunately, I was able to fix my problem in another way, which gave a result with no singularities. So I don't have to solve this problem :) Phew.