Can We Simplify the Taylor Series Expansion for e^(f(x,y))?

thatboi
I know that for 1 variable, one can write ##e^{f(x)} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{(f(x))^n}{n!}##. In the case of 2-variables ##f(x,y)##, I assume we cannot write ##e^{f(x,y)} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{(f(x,y))^n}{n!}## right (because of how the Taylor series is defined for multiple variables)? Is there still a compact way of writing this expansion?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For any variable ##z## it is the case that
$$e^z = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{z^n}{n!}$$
Substituting any expression for ##z## it remains valid, as long as the expression delivers a real number.
Substituting ##f(x)## for ##z## gives your first formula.
Substituting ##f(x,y)## for ##z## gives your second formula.
Both are valid.
The definition of a Taylor series for two variables is not relevant. In neither case is the formula a Taylor series for the function of ##x## or ##x,y##.

Likes PeroK and thatboi
thatboi said:
I know that for 1 variable, one can write ##e^{f(x)} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{(f(x))^n}{n!}##. In the case of 2-variables ##f(x,y)##, I assume we cannot write ##e^{f(x,y)} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{(f(x,y))^n}{n!}## right (because of how the Taylor series is defined for multiple variables)?
Those equations are perfectly valid. But, they may not represent the Taylor series for the given function. In general, it won't even be a power series in ##x##:
$$e^{f(x)} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f(x)^n}{n!} = 1 + f(x) + \frac{f(x)^2}{2!} + \dots$$Which is fine, but it's not necessarily the Taylor series for ##e^{f(x)}##

In some cases, you do get the Taylor series. For example, if we let ##z = x^2##, then (as above) we get the power series:
$$e^{x^2} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^{2n}}{n!}$$Which is the Taylor series for ##e^{x^2}##.

Suggestion is that if ## f(0,0) ## is not approximately zero, that you factor out ## e^{f(0,0)} ## from the expression for the Taylor type series of ## f(x,y) ##.

Edit: It leaves you with ## e^{f(0,0)}e^{\Delta}=e^{f(0,0)}(1+ \Delta+ \Delta^2/2+...)##, = maybe it will work...Edit 2=even ## \Delta ## is complicated to second order in ## \Delta x ## and ## \Delta y ##=I don't see an easy way to simplify it.

In any case, ignore=my calculus was rusty today...:confused:

Last edited:

1. Can the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y)) be simplified?

Yes, the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y)) can be simplified using various techniques such as grouping terms with similar powers of x and y, using properties of exponential functions, and simplifying higher-order terms.

2. What are the benefits of simplifying the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y))?

Simplifying the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y)) can make it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function, especially when dealing with complex functions or higher-order terms. It can also help in approximating the function with a finite number of terms.

3. Are there any limitations to simplifying the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y))?

While simplifying the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y)) can make it more manageable, there may be cases where simplification leads to loss of accuracy or precision, especially when dealing with functions that have rapidly changing or oscillating behavior.

4. How can we determine the accuracy of the simplified Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y))?

The accuracy of the simplified Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y)) can be determined by comparing it with the original function or by analyzing the convergence behavior of the series. Techniques such as error estimation and convergence tests can also be used to assess the accuracy of the approximation.

5. Can software tools or programming languages help in simplifying the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y))?

Yes, software tools and programming languages such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Python can be used to simplify the Taylor series expansion for e^(f(x,y)) by automating the process of calculating and manipulating the series. These tools can also help in visualizing the series and analyzing its properties.