Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite Integral of Definite Integral

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    [itex]h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^uf(t)dt). du[/itex], then why is [itex]h'(x) = \int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex]? Shouldn't it be ##
    h(x) - h(0)## in the first equation? where ##h(x)## is the antiderivative of [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex]? But wait, isn't antiderivative of a function without limits on it? Like for [itex]\int_a^bf(x)dx[/itex] we would say, let ##F(x)## be the antiderivative of ##f(x)##, i.e. [itex]F(x) = ∫f(x)dx[/itex]. And then we apply limits on ##F(x)## do evaluate the definite integral. So what does ##h(x)## mean in the beginning? Does it mean that ##h(x)## is the antiderivative of [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex], i.e. [itex]h(x) = ∫(\int_0^uf(t)dt).dx[/itex] and then we apply the limits 0 and x on it? Would [itex]\int_0^uf(t)dt[/itex] be a separate function and not just some single value?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is an example of applying the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DefnOfDefiniteIntegral.aspx

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page to the section called "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Part I"

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    Yes, but I just want to clarify that what does ##g(x)## and ##f(x)## in the link correspond to in this problem?

5. Apr 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

g(x) in Paul's notes corresponds to h(x) in the OP.

f(t) in Paul's notes corresponds to ## \int_0^uf(t)dt## in the OP.

6. Apr 13, 2015 #5
    What does OP stand for?

7. Apr 13, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(O)riginal (P)ost(er).

8. Apr 13, 2015 #7
    But the limits in this are from 0 to u not 0 to x. So shouldn't we be equating h'(u) rather than h'(x) to the integrand because the integrand would be a function of u (say g(u)) and not x. So it wouldn't make any sense to say h'(x) = g(u).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  9. Apr 13, 2015 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

u is only a dummy variable. The function h(x) is defined as ##h(x)= \int_0^x (\int_0^uf(t)dt). du##, and you wish to find h'(x) = dh(x) / dx.

10. Apr 13, 2015 #9
    Do you mean to say that we can substitute u = x in the inner definite integral then? But wouldn't that mean that u and x are the same whereas they should have been different?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  11. Apr 13, 2015 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, all I'm saying is that u is used in the inner integral to avoid confusion with the limit x in the outer integral. It's more of a symbol thing.

12. Apr 13, 2015 #11
    What's bothering me is that if ##h'(x)=\int_0^uf(t)dt##, RHS is a function of u and LHS is a function of x. So how can they be related?

13. Apr 14, 2015 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]F(x)= \int_a^x f(u)du[/itex] then [itex]F'(x)= f(x)[/itex], not f(u). If [itex]F(x)= \int_0^x f(u)du[/itex] with [itex]f(u)= \int_0^u h(t) dt[/itex], Then [itex]F'(x)= f(x)= \int_0^x h(t)dt[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook