Definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix

• I
  • Thread starter Mathsadness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses how asymmetry in a matrix can result in mixed terms that can prove indefiniteness. The suggested approach is to make the matrix symmetric first and then apply the usual procedure for symmetric matrices. Another approach is to decompose the matrix into symmetric and skew parts and use the defining characteristic of a real skew symmetric matrix to check for definiteness.
Mathsadness
TL;DR Summary
How do we find what type of definiteness a nonsymmetric matrix has? All the definitions in my book refer to symmetric ones as they have nice properties.
There is no specific example but my attempt at one would be to make the non-symmetric matrix symmetric. Then we would be able the usual formulas as designed for symmetric matrices. Is this how it works?

Alternatively, do I just calculate the Eigen values without making it symmetric? I don't think that would be correct as that test is used for symmetric matrices. Any input would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Asymmetry results in independent mixed terms which can be used to prove indefiniteness.

Likes Mathsadness
fresh_42 said:
Asymmetry results in independent mixed terms which can be used to prove indefiniteness.
Can you please elaborate a bit? Wouldn't the process I mentioned above apply i.e making the matrix symmetric first and then use the usual procedure?

Let us consider ##Q=\begin{bmatrix}1&b\\c&1\end{bmatrix}##. The corresponding quadratic form is thus
$$
\vec{x}^\tau\cdot Q \cdot \vec{x}=(x,y)\;Q\;\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\end{pmatrix}= x^2+cxy+bxy+y^2=\left(x+y\right)^2+(b+c-2)xy
$$
Depending on the actual values of ##b## and ##c## you can easily make ##(b+c-2)xy## greater or less than ##-(x+y)^2## for some points ##(x,y)^\tau##. Hence it cannot always be positive or always be negative, hence indefinite.

For ##b=c## we get ##\vec{x}^\tau\cdot Q \cdot \vec{x}=(x+ by)^2+(1-b^2)y^2## which is at least positive definite if ##|b|<1\,##.

I'm not sure where Fresh was going with this. Since OP is evidently working over reals, the standard approach is to write

##A = \frac{1}{2}\big(A+A^T\big)+\frac{1}{2}\big(A-A^T\big) = S + Z##
which decomposes ##A## into symmetric and skew parts. Now for any ##\mathbf x\in \mathbb R^n## a defining characteristic of a real skew symmetric matrix ##Z## is ##\mathbf x^TZ\mathbf x =0## (check the transpose and confirm this for yourself).

Thus for any ##\mathbf x\in \mathbb R^n##
## \mathbf x^TA\mathbf x= \mathbf x^T\big(S + Z\big)\mathbf x = \mathbf x^TS\mathbf x + \mathbf x^TZ\mathbf x= \mathbf x^TS\mathbf x + 0 = \mathbf x^T\Big(\frac{1}{2}\big(A+A^T\big)\Big)\mathbf x##

thus to check for definiteness of ##A## you can apply the 'usual techniques' in your book, to ##\frac{1}{2}\big(A+A^T\big)##

1. What is a nonsymmetric matrix?

A nonsymmetric matrix is a type of square matrix where the elements below the main diagonal are not necessarily equal to the elements above the main diagonal. This means that the matrix is not symmetric, or equal, across the main diagonal.

2. How is the definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix determined?

The definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix is determined by the eigenvalues of the matrix. If all of the eigenvalues are positive, the matrix is positive definite. If all of the eigenvalues are negative, the matrix is negative definite. If there are both positive and negative eigenvalues, the matrix is indefinite.

3. What is the significance of the definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix?

The definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including optimization, linear algebra, and differential equations. It can also provide information about the behavior and stability of a system described by the matrix.

4. Can a nonsymmetric matrix be both positive definite and negative definite?

No, a nonsymmetric matrix cannot be both positive definite and negative definite. This is because the eigenvalues of a matrix are unique and cannot be both positive and negative at the same time.

5. How can the definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix be changed?

The definiteness of a nonsymmetric matrix can be changed by performing operations such as matrix multiplication, addition, and subtraction. These operations can alter the eigenvalues of the matrix, which in turn can change the definiteness of the matrix.