Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of induced representation

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/InducedRepresentation.html [Broken]
    The thing I don't get is the definition of a group element [itex]g[/itex]'s action on a vector [itex]\sigma v[/itex]. In the link it defines the action as [itex]g(\sigma v):=\tau (hv)[/itex], where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the unique left coset of G/H containing [itex]gg_{\sigma}[/itex](i.e. such that [itex]gg_{\sigma}=g_{\tau}h[/itex] for some h belonging to H).
    The thing that confuses me is the arbitrariness of h, i.e., if [itex]gg_{\sigma}=g_{\tau}h[/itex], we can always have [itex]gg_{\sigma}=g_{\tau}h_1h_1^{-1}h=(g_{\tau}h_1)(h_1^{-1}h)[/itex], where [itex]h_1[/itex] is some arbitrary element of H. Now [itex]g_{\tau}h_1[/itex] still belongs to coset [itex]\tau[/itex], but [itex]h_1^{-1}h[/itex] will be a different element in H, say [itex]h_1^{-1}h=h'[/itex] , then according to the previous definition of group action, we have [itex]g(\sigma v):=\tau (h'v)[/itex]. So what shall I make of this arbitrariness?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2
    Ok I think I figured out my misunderstanding, once a set of representatives of cosets is chosen, you can't change it, so if [itex]g_{\sigma}[/itex] is a representative, then [itex]g_{\sigma}h_1[/itex] can't be on the list of representatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook