Definition of induced representation

In summary, an induced representation is a way to construct a representation of a group G from a subgroup H and a representation of H. The action of a group element g on a vector is defined as g(\sigma v):=\tau (hv), where \tau is the unique left coset of G/H containing gg_{\sigma}, and h is an arbitrary element of H. However, this arbitrariness can cause confusion, but it is necessary to choose a set of representatives of cosets and stick with them.
kof9595995
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/InducedRepresentation.html
The thing I don't get is the definition of a group element [itex]g[/itex]'s action on a vector [itex]\sigma v[/itex]. In the link it defines the action as [itex]g(\sigma v):=\tau (hv)[/itex], where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the unique left coset of G/H containing [itex]gg_{\sigma}[/itex](i.e. such that [itex]gg_{\sigma}=g_{\tau}h[/itex] for some h belonging to H).
The thing that confuses me is the arbitrariness of h, i.e., if [itex]gg_{\sigma}=g_{\tau}h[/itex], we can always have [itex]gg_{\sigma}=g_{\tau}h_1h_1^{-1}h=(g_{\tau}h_1)(h_1^{-1}h)[/itex], where [itex]h_1[/itex] is some arbitrary element of H. Now [itex]g_{\tau}h_1[/itex] still belongs to coset [itex]\tau[/itex], but [itex]h_1^{-1}h[/itex] will be a different element in H, say [itex]h_1^{-1}h=h'[/itex] , then according to the previous definition of group action, we have [itex]g(\sigma v):=\tau (h'v)[/itex]. So what shall I make of this arbitrariness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I figured out my misunderstanding, once a set of representatives of cosets is chosen, you can't change it, so if [itex]g_{\sigma}[/itex] is a representative, then [itex]g_{\sigma}h_1[/itex] can't be on the list of representatives.

1. What is an induced representation?

An induced representation is a mathematical tool used in the study of group theory. It is a way to construct new representations of a group by "inducing" them from a smaller subgroup of that group.

2. How is an induced representation constructed?

An induced representation is constructed by taking a representation of a smaller subgroup, and using it to create a larger representation of the whole group. This is done by extending the smaller representation to the whole group using a process called induction.

3. What is the purpose of induced representations?

The purpose of induced representations is to study the properties of a group by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable subgroups. It allows for a deeper understanding of the group and its structure.

4. Can an induced representation be irreducible?

Yes, an induced representation can be irreducible. An induced representation is irreducible if the smaller subgroup representation used to construct it is also irreducible.

5. How are induced representations used in physics?

Induced representations are used in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems. They are particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.