Definition of Normal (Intersection) Without Using a Metric

In summary, it seems that the authors are saying that two submanifolds intersect normally if their tangent spaces intersect in a way that is normal to each other.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

I am trying to understand the meaning of a statement that two embedded manifolds
intersect normally*. The statement is made in a context in which any choice or existence
of a metric is not made explicit, nor--from what I can tell-- implicitly either.

If there was a choice of metric m, it seems reasonable to conclude that M,N
intersect normally if the tangent spaces at points of intersection are normal to
each other, i.e., if p is in the intersection, then TpM is orthogonal to TpN , with
respect to the metric given by m. Without a choice of m, it seems difficult to
see how to define normality of intersection. .

Is there then,a definition of normal intersection that does not make reference, or
does not make use of, the existence of a metric?

Thanks.

* More precisely, the statement is that M intersects N normally along DelM, the (manifold)
boundary of M

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be that they just mean "transversally"?

Thanks, Quasar, but i don't think so, since the author makes mention in another paragraph of manifolds being transverse; I would imagine s/he would have used
transverse in the paragraph I quoted.

What is the manifold in which they are embedded?

Quasar:
They are both embedded in S^4, the 4-sphere.

Well there is a canonical metric on S^4! Namely, the metric you get when you embed S^4 in the usual way and then restrict the euclidean metric to it. So when no metric is specified, it is safe to assume they mean the canonical metric.

Bacle said:
Hi, Everyone:

I am trying to understand the meaning of a statement that two embedded manifolds
intersect normally*. The statement is made in a context in which any choice or existence
of a metric is not made explicit, nor--from what I can tell-- implicitly either.

If there was a choice of metric m, it seems reasonable to conclude that M,N
intersect normally if the tangent spaces at points of intersection are normal to
each other, i.e., if p is in the intersection, then TpM is orthogonal to TpN , with
respect to the metric given by m. Without a choice of m, it seems difficult to
see how to define normality of intersection. .

Is there then,a definition of normal intersection that does not make reference, or
does not make use of, the existence of a metric?

Thanks.

* More precisely, the statement is that M intersects N normally along DelM, the (manifold)
boundary of M

Normal intersection of two submanifolds means that at every point of the intersection the tangent spaces of the two submanifolds span the tangent space of the ambient manifold.

lavinia said:
Normal intersection of two submanifolds means that at every point of the intersection the tangent spaces of the two submanifolds span the tangent space of the ambient manifold.

That's the definition of transverse intersection, no?

Quasar Wrote, in Part:

"Well there is a canonical metric on S^4! Namely, the metric you get when you embed S^4 in the usual way and then restrict the euclidean metric to it. So when no metric is specified, it is safe to assume they mean the canonical metric."

True, but the layout/format of the article seemed to be purely topological , i.e., did not
make use of differential-topology-type techniques.

Then, possibly the authors just mean "transverse", as lavinia suggested.

Thanks to both; sorry for the dead-end chase.

What is the definition of normal (intersection) without using a metric?

Normal (intersection) without using a metric is a concept in mathematics that refers to the intersection of two or more mathematical sets where the elements are considered to be "normal" or "typical" without the use of a metric or measurement.

How is normal (intersection) without using a metric different from normal (intersection) using a metric?

Normal (intersection) without using a metric does not rely on a specific measurement or distance between elements, whereas normal (intersection) using a metric does. This means that normal (intersection) without using a metric is a more general concept that can be applied to a wider range of mathematical sets.

Can normal (intersection) without using a metric be used to define normality in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the concept of normal (intersection) without using a metric can be applied to other fields, such as psychology or sociology, to define what is considered to be "normal" or "typical" within a certain context or population.

Are there any limitations to using normal (intersection) without using a metric?

One limitation is that it may be difficult to determine what is considered "normal" without a metric or measurement to compare against. Additionally, the definition of normal (intersection) may vary depending on the specific mathematical sets being compared.

How is normal (intersection) without using a metric helpful in mathematical analysis?

Normal (intersection) without using a metric can be used to identify common elements or patterns between sets, which can then be further analyzed and studied. It can also provide a more general understanding of the properties and relationships between mathematical sets.