Fundamental definition of extrinsic curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental definition of extrinsic curvature of a hypersurface. The speaker explains that there is no one "fundamental" definition, as any two equivalent definitions are equally valid. The definition of extrinsic curvature does not mention vorticity or a congruence of curves, and can be computed using either the covariant derivative or the Lie derivative. The speaker is looking for a more generic way of defining extrinsic curvature, as the commonly used definition may not always hold.
PLuz
My question is quite simple: what is the fundamental definition of extrinsic curvature of an hypersurface?

Let me explain why I have not just copied one definition from the abundant literature. The specific structure on the Lorentzian manifold that I'm considering does not imply that an hypersurface orthogonal congruence of time-like curves has zero vorticity and the many definitions that I've seen assume this fact. My guess is that the fundamental definition should be:

$$K_{ab}=\frac{1}{2}\mathcal{L}_n~h_{ab}~,$$

where ##h_{ab}## represents the induced metric on the hypersurface and ##\mathcal{L}_n## the Lie derivative along the normal to the hypersurface. By the way, should there be a minus sign in the above expression, I have seen both cases and it should not be irrelevant?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "the fundamental" definition of anything. Any two equivalent definitions are equally fundamental although one may be more convenient in some situations.

The definition of extrinsic curvature does not even mention vorticity or a congruence of curves.

martinbn said:
There is no such thing as "the fundamental" definition of anything. Any two equivalent definitions are equally fundamental although one may be more convenient in some situations.

The definition of extrinsic curvature does not even mention vorticity or a congruence of curves.

Indeed, a definition is a definition. Yet, definitions can be made broader, or more generic. Maybe fundamental was a bad choice of words.
In either case, I understand the extrinsic curvature as the tangential rate of change of the normal to an hypersurface. Now, the rate of change: is it computed using the covariant derivative, the Lie derivative? Just so happens that in the context that is usually studied in the literature, it does not matter, both will define the same quantity that, however, does not have to be the case, in general. So, there must be a more generic - fundamental - way of defining the extrinsic curvature. A practical example, I have seen defining the extrinsic curvature of an hypersurface as ##K_{ab}=h_a^i h_b^j \nabla_{(i}n_{j)} ## but in general this is not the same as the expression in the original post... Care to help me?

I am not sure what you are looking for. The most general definition or the equivalence of the different definitions. Clearly something bothers you, but I am not sure what. It could be that you are not yet used to the new notion.

1. What is the fundamental definition of extrinsic curvature?

The fundamental definition of extrinsic curvature is a measure of how a surface curves in a higher dimensional space. It is defined as the rate of change of the normal vector to the surface as one moves along a curve on the surface.

2. How is extrinsic curvature different from intrinsic curvature?

Extrinsic curvature is a property of a surface in a higher dimensional space, while intrinsic curvature is a property of a surface in its own geometry. In other words, extrinsic curvature describes how a surface is curved in relation to the space it is embedded in, while intrinsic curvature describes the curvature of the surface itself.

3. What does a positive or negative extrinsic curvature indicate?

A positive extrinsic curvature indicates that the surface is convex, meaning it curves outward like a sphere. A negative extrinsic curvature indicates that the surface is concave, meaning it curves inward like a saddle. A zero extrinsic curvature indicates that the surface is flat.

4. How is extrinsic curvature used in physics?

Extrinsic curvature plays a crucial role in general relativity, a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. It is used to describe the curvature of spacetime, which is affected by the presence of massive objects. The theory of general relativity has been successfully used to explain the behavior of large-scale astronomical phenomena, such as the bending of light by massive objects.

5. Can extrinsic curvature be measured?

Yes, extrinsic curvature can be measured using mathematical formulas and techniques. In physics, it can also be measured experimentally using tools such as lasers and interferometers. For example, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) measures tiny changes in the extrinsic curvature of spacetime caused by gravitational waves.