Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition questions for linear algebra

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    i am having trouble understanding some of the "basic" concepts of my linear algebra...any help would be greatly appreciated

what is an orthogonal basis? and how to construct it? i keep stumbling upon questions asking about construction a orthogonal basis for {v1, v2} in W

what i null A? need to understand the concept fro proofs

what is Col A? also need to understand for proofs

what exactly is a projection? i know the formula for it and i know how to apply it yet i dont understand the concept of what it is or how to picture it

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

Best advice ever: get yourself a good linear algebra book...:)

Ort. basis: read about Gram-Schmidt process and def. of orth. basis

Null A = most probably it means the null (sub)space of a matrix (or linear transformation) A, and it is the set of all vectors that A maps to the zero vector

Col A = probably it means the space spanned by the columns of an n x m matrix in the vector space [itex]\mathbb F^n[/itex]

DonAntonio

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    thank you so much this is great help!

btw do u happen to have any recommendations for a good linear algebra book to buy?

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook