Deformation of a spring being accelerated

In summary: We are both right and both wrong. At this stage, you do not know which way the force acts. You have effectively defined downslope as positive for the spring force, so if the extension comes out negative it just means the spring is actually under compression.Bear in mind that if the room were not accelerating then the spring wouid definitely be under compression, so it comes to whether the extension is actually going down or up.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The picture shows a block of ##0.5 kg## that interacts with a spring of constant ##40 \frac{N}{m}##. The body lies on a wedge and they are static with respect to the room that accelerates with ##a=0.5 \frac{m}{s^2}## to the right. The horizontal and the wedge form an angle of ##40°##. Determine the deformation of the spring, the normal force acting on ##A## and the acceleration needed to make the deformation equal to 0.
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
I wrote Newton's equations for the block seen from the non inertial frame. The axis are inclined.
##x) Fe+W_x-f*cos(\alpha)=0##
##y) N-f*sin(\alpha)-W_y=0##
Where ##f*## is the pseudo-force and ##Fe## is the elastic force. I set the acceleration as 0 because they are in equilibrium.
The thing is that when I solve the equations I got that the deformation is negative, but it should be positive because the spring is being stretched.

Attachments

• 20191006_012530.jpg
    20191006_012530.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 181
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Homework Statement: The picture shows a block of ##0.5 kg## that interacts with a spring of constant ##40 \frac{N}{m}##. The body lies on a wedge and they are static with respect to the room that accelerates with ##a=0.5 \frac{m}{s^2}## to the right. The horizontal and the wedge form an angle of ##40°##. Determine the deformation of the spring, the normal force acting on ##A## and the acceleration needed to make the deformation equal to 0.
Homework Equations: Newton's equations

I wrote Newton's equations for the block seen from the non inertial frame. The axis are inclined.
##x) Fe+W_x-f*cos(\alpha)=0##
##y) N-f*sin(\alpha)-W_y=0##
Where ##f*## is the pseudo-force and ##Fe## is the elastic force. I set the acceleration as 0 because they are in equilibrium.
The thing is that when I solve the equations I got that the deformation is negative, but it should be positive because the spring is being stretched.
Check all your signs. That's the commonest error in force analysis, and using tilted axes and noninertial frames makes it no easier.
The equations you posted aren't actually wrong - they don't become wrong until you make the substitutions - but they certainly look as though you are about to go wrong.

An approach I prefer is to make up and right positivefor forces and accelerations (or such tilted to match the plane) and write the force sums all with + signs. When substituting the known values (like mg) apply the appropriate signs.

haruspex said:
Check all your signs. That's the commonest error in force analysis, and using tilted axes and noninertial frames makes it no easier.
The equations you posted aren't actually wrong - they don't become wrong until you make the substitutions - but they certainly look as though you are about to go wrong.

An approach I prefer is to make up and right positivefor forces and accelerations (or such tilted to match the plane) and write the force sums all with + signs. When substituting the known values (like mg) apply the appropriate signs.
I've done it but changing the tilted axes for common axes.
So my equations are
##x)-f*+Fecos(\alpha)+Nsin(\alpha)=0##
##y) Ncos(\alpha)-mg-Fesin(\alpha)=0##

##f*=m.a=0.5×0.5=0.25 N##
##\alpha =40°##
##Fe=k \Delta x=40 \Delta x## (I put the sign depending on the free body diagram
##mg=0.5×10=5 N##
##a_x=a_y=0## because they're at rest in the non inertial frame.

But I'm still getting a negative value for ##\Delta x##

Like Tony Stark said:
I've done it but changing the tilted axes for common axes.
So my equations are
##x)-f*+Fecos(\alpha)+Nsin(\alpha)=0##
##y) Ncos(\alpha)-mg-Fesin(\alpha)=0##

##f*=m.a=0.5×0.5=0.25 N##
##\alpha =40°##
##Fe=k \Delta x=40 \Delta x## (I put the sign depending on the free body diagram
##mg=0.5×10=5 N##
##a_x=a_y=0## because they're at rest in the non inertial frame.

But I'm still getting a negative value for ##\Delta x##
Well, you did not do what I suggested wrt signs. In my approach you would write e.g. ##f_*+F_e\cos(\alpha)+N\sin(\alpha)=0##, where ##F_e## will be negative because it acts to the left, and the angle is negative because it is tilted clockwise.
No matter... I will work with your approach.

f* and N both act to the right, but you have given them opposite signs in (x).
In (y), N and Fe both act up, but they have opposite signs.

haruspex said:
Well, you did not do what I suggested wrt signs. In my approach you would write e.g. ##f_*+F_e\cos(\alpha)+N\sin(\alpha)=0##, where ##F_e## will be negative because it acts to the left, and the angle is negative because it is tilted clockwise.
No matter... I will work with your approach.

f* and N both act to the right, but you have given them opposite signs in (x).
In (y), N and Fe both act up, but they have opposite signs.
Why the normal an elastic force should have the same sign? The normal points upwards and the elastic force tries to put the block where is was before since it is stretching.
Then why do you say that ##f*## is positive? The acceleration is to the right so the force will be to the left

Last edited:
Like Tony Stark said:
Why the normal an elastic force should have the same sign? The normal points upwards and the elastic force tries to put the block where is was before since it is stretching.
We are both right and both wrong. At this stage, you do not know which way the force acts. You have effectively defined downslope as positive for the spring force, so if the extension comes out negative it just means the spring is actually under compression.
Bear in mind that if the room were not accelerating then the spring wouid definitely be under compression, so it comes to whether the acceleration is greater or less than some threshold.
Like Tony Stark said:
Then why do you say that f∗f∗f* is positive?
On that, you are right and I was wrong.

Likes Like Tony Stark
haruspex said:
We are both right and both wrong. At this stage, you do not know which way the force acts. You have effectively defined downslope as positive for the spring force, so if the extension comes out negative it just means the spring is actually under compression.
Bear in mind that if the room were not accelerating then the spring wouid definitely be under compression, so it comes to whether the acceleration is greater or less than some threshold.

On that, you are right and I was wrong.
Thanks!

1. How does acceleration affect the deformation of a spring?

Acceleration affects the deformation of a spring by increasing the force applied to the spring, causing it to stretch or compress further. The greater the acceleration, the more the spring will deform.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of an object and the deformation of a spring when it is accelerated?

The relationship between the mass of an object and the deformation of a spring when it is accelerated is inverse. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the deformation of the spring decreases and vice versa.

3. Can the deformation of a spring be affected by the direction of acceleration?

Yes, the direction of acceleration can affect the deformation of a spring. When the acceleration is in the same direction as the force applied to the spring, the spring will stretch. When the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the spring will compress.

4. How does the spring constant affect the deformation of a spring when it is accelerated?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, affects the deformation of a spring when it is accelerated. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will require a greater force to stretch or compress it compared to a spring with a lower spring constant.

5. What factors can influence the deformation of a spring when it is accelerated?

The deformation of a spring when it is accelerated can be influenced by factors such as the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, the direction and magnitude of the acceleration, and the initial length of the spring before acceleration. Other external factors such as temperature and material properties may also play a role.