Deformation of Allen Head Screws: Impact or Wear?

  • Thread starter Thread starter drag88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hole Screw
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
drag88
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all just a simple question about the hole of the Allen head screw becoming round/circular after repeated use of a Allen key on it. From what I read so far it should be a form of wear. I am thinking of abrasive or impact wear, but not sure which is it. Can anyone answer this? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
no way would hardened spec allen bolt round out IF you use the proper wrench..i have rounded allens i found on the original race car simply because it was not known if the bolt was inch or metric..ifin you got a metric allen and use an INCH wrench, you can round them..especially if they are rusted
 
I've seen many Allen set screws get rounded when using the proper key. They have been over torqued and the metal has deformed, not worn. I suspect that the deformation is happening to both the key and the screw's recess. I've not seen it happen in larger size Allen headed cap screws (say 1/4 in. and larger bolt size).

I don't have any experience (or at least much) with use of an impact wrench with Allen head bolts. I can imagine that an impact wrench could readily do damage to the head.