Degeneracy pressure of a White Dwarf Star

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
tanaygupta2000
Messages
208
Reaction score
14
Homework Statement
A stable white dwarf star has mass m = 10^30 kg and radius R = 8 ×10^8 m. What is the degeneracy pressure of the electron gas in the star?
Relevant Equations
P = 2πc/3h^3 × P(F)^4 × [1 - {mc/P(F)}^2]
where P(F) = h(3N/8πV)^(1/3)
So far, I am provided with all the required values for calculation, except N.
If N = total number of electrons in star, then using N = mass of star/ mass of an electron should be no problem.
Am I right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tanaygupta2000 said:
Homework Statement:: A stable white dwarf star has mass m = 10^30 kg and radius R = 8 ×10^8 m. What is the degeneracy pressure of the electron gas in the star?
Relevant Equations:: P = 2πc/3h^3 × P(F)^4 × [1 - {mc/P(F)}^2]
where P(F) = h(3N/8πV)^(1/3)

So far, I am provided with all the required values for calculation, except N.
If N = total number of electrons in star, then using N = mass of star/ mass of an electron should be no problem.
Am I right?
That can't be right.

That would work if the white dwarf star were composed entirely of electrons.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
SammyS said:
That can't be right.

That would work if the white dwarf star were composed entirely of electrons.
I think N is given by: N = M/(2×Mass of a proton)
 
tanaygupta2000 said:
I think N is given by: N = M/(2×Mass of a proton)
That may make sense.

What is the typical composition of a white dwarf star?
 
Sir usually WDSs are mainly composed of C-12 & O-16.
But the question here is asking about electron gas.
 
tanaygupta2000 said:
Sir usually WDSs are mainly composed of C-12 & O-16.
But the question here is asking about electron gas.
Right. Each of those atoms has 1 electron for every two nucleons (one proton & one neutron). So, yes you were essentially right when you wrote: N = M/(2×Mass of a proton) .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: tanaygupta2000