Degree of multiplication map of a topological group

In summary, the map of f(g,h)=g.h (i.e. multiplication in g) for fixed g has a degree of 1 or +1, depending on whether or not the last non-zero homology group in G is Z.
Jamma
Hi. I'm trying to find the degree of the map of f(g,h)=g.h (i.e. multiplication in g) for fixed g. It is a map G-->G (if we fix g).

We can assign a degree to this map for any topological group for which the last non-zero homology group is Z and proceed like we do for the degree of a map between n-spheres.

My intuition is that it should obviously be 1. In fact, it must be +1 or -1 since it is invertible. I have also noted that the set of elements H={g in G|deg(f(g,-))=1} must be a normal subgroup of G and also that G/H would then be the group of order 2 if there were elements with degree -1; reasonably strong conditions.

I can't seem to finish it off though and feel that I've probably just missed something very obvious. Maybe top. groups with final homology group Z are path connected meaning that
H:[0,1]xG-->G
H(t,x)=q(t).x
(where q(t) is a path between e (identity element) and g)
would be a homotopy between the identity map and any mult. map in question, showing the degree to be 1.

Any thoughts to nudge me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear which part you're stuck on -- is it:

(1) You haven't managed to prove the group is path-connected

(2) Assuming it's path connected, translation by g really is homotopic to the identity

If the former, then it would seem the thing to do would be to assume otherwise, and look at the path-connected components...

(Though I confess I am fairly uncomfortable with dealing with connected-but-not-path-connected spaces or other pathologies relating to connectedness)

I haven't managed to prove that the group is path connected, that was a thought that I had. When this is known, the way I continued would be a proof that the degree of the maps are 1.

I wasn't sure if the statement I made was true. Not all topological groups are path connected but I thought that maybe if the last homology group was Z this may be true, although I'm thinking it probably isn't. As I said, it was an idea of how to proceed.

I'll quickly examine the path-components are report back ;)

Hmm not quite seeing how looking at the path components is going to help; couldn't we have a separate path component of elements who's mult' map is degree -1?

I'm not that familiar with topological groups yet so I do not know elementary results about them as such.

By the homotopy, we can see that we have path components of elements in H and others not. Also there must be an equal number of such components as a degree -1 element would send path components to opposite ones since path components -> path components under continuous maps and also every point is mapped to since this is an isomorphism.

So I've deduced there are an equal number of path components... :uhh:

At least I seem to be narrowing it down :smile:

If you have several path connected components, what kind of structure do the homology groups have?

Well considered as a topological space, we could just consider the space as a disjoint union of these other path components; and if we had one with Z as its final homology group and others with 0, we could still get something with elements with degree -1 elements.

Maybe being a topological group reduces the generality here however, I will examine this, thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Jamma said:
Maybe being a topological group reduces the generality here however,
Yep -- the most important aspect is that any points in the group looks just like every other point, because multiplication is a homeomorphism.

Or more specifically, all of the connected components look the same...

Ahha, I think I've got it, thanks a lot!

1. What is the degree of multiplication map of a topological group?

The degree of multiplication map of a topological group is a numerical measure of how many times the identity element of the group wraps around itself when multiplied by each element of the group. It is also known as the winding number or rotation number of the group.

2. How is the degree of multiplication map calculated?

The degree of multiplication map is calculated by taking the determinant of the derivative of the multiplication map. This can be done using the Jacobian matrix, which is a matrix of partial derivatives of the map's coordinates. The determinant of this matrix is then calculated to determine the degree.

3. What is the significance of the degree of multiplication map?

The degree of multiplication map is an important topological invariant that provides information about the structure of a topological group. It can help classify and distinguish between different types of groups, and can also be used in various mathematical proofs and calculations.

4. Can the degree of multiplication map be negative?

Yes, the degree of multiplication map can be negative. This typically occurs in groups with non-orientable structures, such as the Möbius strip or the Klein bottle. In these cases, the degree is a reflection of the non-orientability of the group.

5. How does the degree of multiplication map relate to the fundamental group of a topological group?

The degree of multiplication map is closely related to the fundamental group of a topological group. In fact, the fundamental group is a special case of the degree of multiplication map when the group is a circle. The degree can also be used to calculate the fundamental group of a non-orientable group, as it is a topological invariant.