Dehydration Question -- How to best re-hydrate a severely dehdrated person?

• Medical
  • Thread starter zuz
  • Start date
In summary, when a man is in the desert for three days with no water and on the brink of death, it is not safe to give him large quantities of water all at once. It is recommended to start with small sips and seek medical help if unsure. The article also suggests that dehydration can have serious consequences and it is important to seek medical attention in such cases.
zuz
TL;DR Summary
Dying of thirst
If a man was in the desert for three days with no water, on the brink of death. Is it safe to give him large quantities of water all at once? I seen a movie that said no, but I read a novel that said yes. I don't believe everything I see or read so I'm asking? Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is an answer: small sips to start with.
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dehydration-in-adults-treatment#1
But.
The article first stipulates -GET MEDICAL HELP - if you are not sure. We second that idea. The article explains all of the bad things that can happen to you during dehydration. Your scenario is not likely except in a place like where I live - Northern Chihuahuan Desert.

Children in urban areas routinely become dehydrated from untreated diarrhea and parents do not know. Until the situation is very severe.

1. What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?

The symptoms of severe dehydration include extreme thirst, dry mouth, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, and reduced urine output.

2. How much water should be given to a severely dehydrated person?

The amount of water needed to re-hydrate a severely dehydrated person depends on their weight and the severity of their dehydration. It is best to consult a medical professional for specific recommendations.

3. Is it safe to give sports drinks or electrolyte solutions to a severely dehydrated person?

In some cases, sports drinks or electrolyte solutions can be beneficial for re-hydration. However, it is important to consult a medical professional first, as these drinks may not provide enough water and can also contain high amounts of sugar.

4. Can a severely dehydrated person be re-hydrated by drinking large amounts of water at once?

No, it is not recommended to drink large amounts of water at once to re-hydrate a severely dehydrated person. This can actually cause further electrolyte imbalances and may be dangerous. It is best to sip water slowly and consistently over a period of time.

5. Are there any other methods besides drinking water to re-hydrate a severely dehydrated person?

In some cases, intravenous (IV) fluids may be necessary to re-hydrate a severely dehydrated person. This involves administering fluids directly into the bloodstream through a vein. It is important to seek medical attention for severe dehydration to determine the best course of treatment.