Dehydration Question -- How to best re-hydrate a severely dehdrated person?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zuz
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
zuz
Messages
100
Reaction score
36
TL;DR
Dying of thirst
If a man was in the desert for three days with no water, on the brink of death. Is it safe to give him large quantities of water all at once? I seen a movie that said no, but I read a novel that said yes. I don't believe everything I see or read so I'm asking? Thank you.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Here is an answer: small sips to start with.
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dehydration-in-adults-treatment#1
But.
The article first stipulates -GET MEDICAL HELP - if you are not sure. We second that idea. The article explains all of the bad things that can happen to you during dehydration. Your scenario is not likely except in a place like where I live - Northern Chihuahuan Desert.

Children in urban areas routinely become dehydrated from untreated diarrhea and parents do not know. Until the situation is very severe.