Delta Function Identity in Modern Electrodynamics, Zangwill

In summary, the conversation discusses a delta function identity from Modern Electrodynamics by Andrew Zangwill. The equation is shown with a missing term and the conversation confirms that it should include a factor of 1/r. The conversation then provides hints and guidance on how to prove the identity, ultimately leading to the determination of a non-zero value for a constant in the equation.
chi_rho
I am currently reading Modern Electrodynamics by Andrew Zangwill and came across a section listing some delta function identities (Section 1.5.5 page 15 equation 1.122 for those interested), and there is one identity that really confused me. He states:
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_m}=\frac{3r_k r_m - r^2 \delta_{km}}{r^5}-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})\\
\end{align*}
I am having trouble with figuring out how to show this identity is true. If anyone can help get me on the right track to see how to achieve this identity I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Write ##r## in terms of ##r_k## and use (1.121).

Demystifier said:
Hint: Write ##r## in terms of ##r_k## and use (1.121).

So I wrote ##r## in terms of ##r_{i}## , but I just needed some dummy index so really any can work. The problem I ran into was in finding the final term:
\begin{align*}
-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})
\end{align*}
I know the derivative I performed only works with ##r \neq 0##, and the Laplacian of ##\frac{1}{r}## gives you a ##-4\pi\delta(\mathbf{r})##, but I am just struggling to see how this particular term comes up...any thoughts?

Suppose that for ##r=0## there is an additional term ##c \delta_{km}\delta({\bf r})##, where ##c## is a constant that you need to determine. (You are allowed to assume that because, a priori, ##c## can even be zero, which would be the same as if that term was not present at all.) Now put ##k=m##, sum over ##k##, and use (1.141). This will give you the non-zero value of ##c##.

chi_rho said:
I am currently reading Modern Electrodynamics by Andrew Zangwill and came across a section listing some delta function identities (Section 1.5.5 page 15 equation 1.122 for those interested), and there is one identity that really confused me. He states:
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_m}=\frac{3r_k r_m - r^2 \delta_{km}}{r^5}-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})\\
\end{align*}
I am having trouble with figuring out how to show this identity is true. If anyone can help get me on the right track to see how to achieve this identity I would greatly appreciate it.

Is there something missing in this equation? It seems to me that the left-hand side is an operator, while the right-hand side is a function. I'm guessing that it's supposed to be:

\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_m} \frac{1}{r} =\frac{3r_k r_m - r^2 \delta_{km}}{r^5}-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})\\
\end{align*}

stevendaryl said:
Is there something missing in this equation? It seems to me that the left-hand side is an operator, while the right-hand side is a function. I'm guessing that it's supposed to be:

\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_m} \frac{1}{r} =\frac{3r_k r_m - r^2 \delta_{km}}{r^5}-\frac{4\pi}{3}\delta_{km}\delta(\mathbf{r})\\
\end{align*}

Yeah, that was just a typo. The ##\frac{1}{r}## definitely needs to be there. Sorry about that.

Demystifier said:
Suppose that for ##r=0## there is an additional term ##c \delta_{km}\delta({\bf r})##, where ##c## is a constant that you need to determine. (You are allowed to assume that because, a priori, ##c## can even be zero, which would be the same as if that term was not present at all.) Now put ##k=m##, sum over ##k##, and use (1.141). This will give you the non-zero value of ##c##.

Thanks for all of your help, I was finally able to figure it out because of your useful directions!

1. What is the Delta Function Identity in Modern Electrodynamics?

The Delta Function Identity in Modern Electrodynamics, also known as the Zangwill identity, is a mathematical expression that relates the electric and magnetic fields of a system. It is a fundamental equation in electrodynamics and is commonly used in solving problems related to electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the Delta Function Identity derived?

The Delta Function Identity is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By manipulating these equations and applying vector calculus, the Delta Function Identity can be derived.

3. What are the applications of the Delta Function Identity?

The Delta Function Identity is used in various applications in modern electrodynamics, such as in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves, calculating the fields of charged particles, and solving boundary value problems in electromagnetics.

4. Can the Delta Function Identity be applied to time-varying systems?

Yes, the Delta Function Identity can be applied to both static and time-varying systems. It is a general equation that is applicable in different scenarios, including those involving time-varying fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the Delta Function Identity?

While the Delta Function Identity is a powerful tool in modern electrodynamics, it has some limitations. It assumes the absence of magnetic monopoles and does not account for quantum effects. Additionally, it is only valid in the classical limit and may not accurately describe the behavior of systems at the atomic or subatomic level.