Calculating Delta Heat of Formation: Alternatives and Limitations

In summary, the student is trying to figure out the delta heat for formation of a specific reaction, but they are not allowed to create H2SO4 directly because they don't have the materials. They have gone through and determined the half reactions for finding the Delta heat for formation, but they are not able to calculate the energy change in the reaction. There are other methods that the student could use to calculate the energy change in the reaction.
masterblah777
Currently I am enrolled in college level General Chemistry course, and at this time we are working on a project to figure out the delta heat for formation of a specific reaction.

The equation is this

H2 + CuSO4(aq) ---> Cu(s) + H2SO4.

We have gone through and determined the half reactions for finding the Delta heat for formation. But we are not allowed to create H2SO4 directly because we don't posses the materials for the environment. We know how to create CuSO4 but we do not know how to react the Cu and S04.

Is there an alternate solution to figuring out the delta heat of formation for CuSO4 and H2SO4? Those are the only two heats of formation we need to get in order to solve for the delta heat of formation for the entire reaction. Possibly different reactions to find the delta heats of formation?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
masterblah777 said:
Currently I am enrolled in college level General Chemistry course, and at this time we are working on a project to figure out the delta heat for formation of a specific reaction.

The equation is this

H2 + CuSO4(aq) ---> Cu(s) + H2SO4.

We have gone through and determined the half reactions for finding the Delta heat for formation. But we are not allowed to create H2SO4 directly because we don't posses the materials for the environment. We know how to create CuSO4 but we do not know how to react the Cu and S04.

Is there an alternate solution to figuring out the delta heat of formation for CuSO4 and H2SO4? Those are the only two heats of formation we need to get in order to solve for the delta heat of formation for the entire reaction. Possibly different reactions to find the delta heats of formation?
Sorry, it's difficult for me to understand exactly what data you can use and what you can't.

Furthermore, what means "We have gone through and determined the half reactions for finding the Delta heat for formation" and "We know how to create CuSO4 but we do not know how to react the Cu and S04"?

Sorry, it's probably my difficulty in understanding your terminology.

if I'm not wrong, this reaction ain't supposed to be occurring. H2 will not react with Cu2+.

you can't determine enthalpy change of formation in this reaction. the enthalpy change of formation is when 1 mol of a compound is produced from its elements in their elemental states.

e.g. enthalpy change of CO2:

C + O2 -----> CO2

the energy change in this reaction gives the enthalpy change of formation of CO2.maybe you're referring to simply the enthalpy change of this reaction, which isn't supposed to occur??!

Then you may use Hess' Law. Or you could measure initial and final temperature before and after reaction and calculate the heat energy liberated. But i doubt it will work. I'm just saying this to tell you the methods to calculate energy changes.

What is Delta Heat of Formation?

Delta Heat of Formation, also known as the change in enthalpy of formation, is the difference in energy between the products and reactants in a chemical reaction at a constant pressure and temperature. It is a measure of the heat released or absorbed during a reaction.

How is Delta Heat of Formation calculated?

Delta Heat of Formation is calculated by subtracting the sum of the enthalpies of the products from the sum of the enthalpies of the reactants. This can be represented by the equation: ΔH°f = ΣH°products - ΣH°reactants.

Why is Delta Heat of Formation important?

Delta Heat of Formation is important because it provides information about the stability and energy content of a chemical compound. It can also be used to predict the feasibility and direction of a chemical reaction.

How is Delta Heat of Formation affected by temperature?

The value of Delta Heat of Formation is affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the energy content of the products and reactants also changes, resulting in a different value for Delta Heat of Formation. However, at standard conditions, the effect of temperature on Delta Heat of Formation is negligible.

What is the difference between Delta Heat of Formation and Standard Heat of Formation?

Delta Heat of Formation is the change in energy during a reaction, while Standard Heat of Formation is the energy content of a compound at standard conditions. Delta Heat of Formation is calculated by comparing the energy of the reactants and products, while Standard Heat of Formation is measured experimentally.